Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Fall "Break"

So, the bigger kids are on Fall "Break" this week, but this is the first time that a school "break" has actually seemed like a school *break*.  Mostly because we have been dealing with some major adjustment challenges with the new school for Charley and not living in fear of a phone call from an administrator this week has been POSITIVELY LOVELY (Things are getting better.  Slowly.  Two-steps-forward-one-step-back-style.).

So at the new school we lose a week at the end of the summer (when the weather sucks and everyone is sick of each other) and instead get a week off after the first six-weeks, when A) The weather is marginally less-sucky and B) the kids are exhausted and sick of school and C) NO ONE ELSE IN THE CITY IS OFF OF SCHOOL.

This means that we have a veritable FREE FOR ALL of fun activities.

Yesterday my mom took them to explore a cavern while I was teaching.  Then they stopped for barbeque on the way home.  They had a blast.

Today we were supposed to go to a trampoline park, but it didn't open until 2:00 and I have to go get the little kids around 3:30, so we went kayaking on the lake instead.  If I'm being honest, and I am, I was MUCH MORE EXCITED about this Plan B than I was about spending the morning cooped up in a converted grocery store getting hassled about buying junk food from the snack bar.



Here's a parenting fact I'd never considered before: One day my kids will be big enough to paddle me around the lake on a kayak. THIS DAY HAS COME.

Making a hat out of smelly lake duck weed must be a boy thing.



So is bringing every floating log you encounter into your boat along with two frisbees, a tennis balls, and handful after handful of aquatic vegetation. You should smell the car.

Now we are home and I am remembering why I was in such better shape when I was staying with the kids full-time. Paddling more than two-hundred pounds of people around the lake for an hour is no joke. Tomorrow and Friday I am teaching but we're going hiking on Thursday. Monday, when we all have to get up and get ready and in the car by seven fifteen is going to SUCK. Let's not think about that.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So fun! Probably also feels like a break because the babies are in daycare. So much fun to hang out with the big kids.

admission essay writing service said...

really fun, kids are our entertainers