Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Aaaaand mike drop

Charley had kind of a rough afternoon yesterday.  He couldn't even bring himself to eat dinner at the table with the family because he knew he'd say something rude and get himself in trouble so he sat at the island with his face in a Boys' Life magazine.

After dinner I sent him off to practice piano thinking the food would have improved his mood but when he made a single mistake on one of his pieces and then started throwing music all over the dining room I suggested loudly that he go upstairs and cool off.  On the way to the stairs he knocked over two dining room chairs and the vacuum cleaner.

He came down about thirty minutes later to try again but after multiple rude and angry outbursts directed at various other family members I told him he was done and needed to find a book and get in bed for the night.  It was ten till six.  NIGHTY NIGHT!

At eight, he was calm but still awake so I went in to check on him.  He said something about being nervous about the new school.  I rested my chin on the rail of the upper bunk and told him softly while rubbing his back "You know what's great about the new school?  You'll get to go there until you're in twelfth grade!  You won't have to change schools again until you are in college!"

He said "Can I go to college there?"

I said "No, it goes to twelfth grade, which is the end of high school.  You can go anywhere you want to college."

"College is optional" he replied.

"Yes, it is.  You can do whatever you want after high school.  You'll be an adult!"

"I'm going to go to ALL the schools" he said sleepily.

"Yeah?" I said, smoothing his sweaty hair with my hand.  "You want to go to grad school like Papa and me?"

"Mmm hmmm.  Are you an adult when you go to grad school?"

"Yes," I said "Papa and I were in grad school when you were born!"

"Wow" he said.

We stood there in silence for a moment.  It was a peaceful, happy time.  I wondered what he'd like to study in grad school.  I thought about how proud I am of him for working so hard on his behavior chart this semester (an entire MONTH of smiley faces!).  Yes, he's going to be just fine.  Will he be an academic?  A doctor?  A teacher?  An engineer?

I thought he was falling asleep, but then he spoke.

"One time I held poop in my body for TWO DAYS."

4 comments:

Kyla said...

Haha! Hilarious.

I just wanted to encourage you a little. Charley sounds so much like a young Nathan and it was a hard time. I think much of his emotional turmoil came from his high expectations both of himself and of others and how situations would play out (ie. special surprises are always a huge disappointment for him because even though they are cool, they are not RIGHT/not what he imagined) and as he has gotten older, it has mellowed SO MUCH. So hang in there!

Sarah said...

Good perspective. There is no doubt that he is going to make it through the first grade just fine :) And there is so much ahead!

Danny said...

Kid's gonna be a gastroenterologist.

Sheri said...

HAHAHA! He said "poop"! :)