Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Food, Glorious Food!

One of the best things about working on campus this summer is that they condense the whole dining hall into a small campus coffee shop where they offer a small lunch buffet every day for $4.

This is beneficial to me in two ways. Number one is that it is a BUFFET. As in, all you can cram into (and balance on top of) your styrofoam box, is YOURS. And let me tell you. I can cram $4 worth of food into that box NO PROBLEM. Today I chose a grilled cheese, fries, pineapple slices, about a quart of strawberries in basil vinaigrette, an iced tea, and an enormous piece of chocolate cake. I was about to pile a couple of cookies on top of the cake but I saw my students headed in my direction and thought better of it. Plus the cookies didn't look as fresh and chewy as they normally do. I mean, I *could* have hidden them inside the box if I'd really wanted to.

(Also, I passed the gestational diabetes screening, did I mention? Par-tay time!)

Yesterday it was a hamburger and fries (duh!), Cesar salad, seven pounds of fruit salad, iced tea, and a handful of (rather large) chocolate chip pecan cookies.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Probably Ryan, with raised eyebrows, wondering aloud if I really need to spend $4 a day on lunch out and what about that leftover chicken? To which I will say, OK, please go to the store tonight, buy a chocolate cake, an entire watermelon, some canteloupe, several quarts of strawberries, an iced tea machine, some way to make deliciously amazing french fries, and a different entree for every day of the week. I'll take that tomorrow.

The second, less important, reason that the lunch buffet is good is that I have to walk approximately two hundred yards across campus from my office to get there which marks the sum total of my cardiovascular activity at the moment. And also, "walk" might be a bit of an exaggeration. Lumber? Waddle? I forgot to wear my baby girdle today so I was definitely waddling and eyeing those golf carts the landscapers drive around in. It's nice to get out in the sun and think about how leafy and pretty the campus is for a little while instead of storm surge and wind and destruction. And sometimes other faculty wave at me, so you know, human contact.

The party ends on June 7 when the summer camps start taking over the residential part of campus and I start wanting to avoid large packs of tween girls in volleyball jerseys and booty shorts. Because it's hard to enjoy your Henry VIII lunch when you are massively pregnant and sitting next to a ninety pound teenage girl in booty shorts.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

SO much so funny-- your convo with Ryan, the Henry VIII lunch. Ha!

Stumbling Towards Perfect said...

You have given me a new goal: to work for our local university. I REALLY like food. And the good news is I don't wear booty shorts so it's kind of like a win-win!

Chiconky said...

I love a good buffet! $4 is better than Vegas!

Erica said...

I'm curious about the dimensions of this box. I feel like this would be a good challenge for me.

sarah said...

LOL @ Henry VIII lunch. I'm so jealous of Pedro bc his company has free meals, every meal, all week. And each meal has a theme--of course, the intention is to brainwash them into believing they never need to leave work or go home to their families. But the food is delicious. LOL