Friday, March 8, 2013

Vom-tastic

So many thoughts go through your head when your kid horks in the preschool parking lot.  None of them is something the good mothers would admit to.  I, for example, thought about five different things before I got to "Poor baby!"

Like, "I'm going to miss Texas Day at the elementary school and Charlie is going to be so mad!"

and "I was going to do the last edits on that paper I've been trying to get out for half my life!"

and "Ew ew ew ew ew it's all over the car!"

and "Was that real throw-up or did he just gag from the postnasal drip?  Because it could totally just be postnasal drip, right?  He can still go to school, right?"

and, the loudest thought of all: "BUT NEXT WEEK IS SPRING BREAK, THIS IS MY LAST CHANCE FOR FREEDOM AND NOW IT'S GOOOOOOOOONE!!"

So that happened.  I cleaned him up as best I could with wipes, asked a friend to come get Wes so I didn't have to handle the puke bomb any more than necessary take James inside where he could get other children sick, and decided right then and there that I deserved caffeine and transfats, i.e. Dunkin Donuts.

I was still clinging to the postnasal drip theory until I was almost home, when I noticed that he was fast asleep, which is not normal for this time of day.  So I guess he is really sick.  And also officially quarantined, because NEXT WEEK IS SPRING BREAK and if the whole house gets overtaken by a stomach virus so help me I'm going to join my parents in Mexico and leave Ryan in charge.  Gross.

And he's still asleep so I guess I should actually do some of those things I had hoped to get done today, you know, now that I'm off the hook for Texas Day.  When he's awake he's getting a very long warm bath and some jammies.  And some bananas-rice-applesauce-toast.  And a SARS mask.

2 comments:

Chiconky said...

Poor James! Don't kids have awesome timing?

Sarah said...

Booo! Your last chance at freedom!