Friday, October 19, 2012

MOTY

There was a mixup at school dropoff this morning and instead of coming out of the bathroom and walking to his class with Ryan like Ryan had expected, Charlie came out of the bathroom and went straight to his classroom. Ryan explained this when he got home, but for some reason I just had to know that Charlie had made it to his classroom (even though he makes it to his classroom on his own just fine every other day of the year) (but those times Ryan actually sees him walk down the hall towards the kindergarten wing and does not just leave him at the boys' room) (that building is huge and I am irrational).

I mulled it over all the way to work and couldn't stop thinking about it. I mean, what if he wasn't in class and we didn't know about it until 2:40 at pickup time? I also did not get a good night of sleep last night because I was up late discussing the last debate with a like-minded friend and was still too wound up to sleep at midnight. I knew I needed to know before I could get anything done today (like this trainwreck of a blog post)(I finished my grading first).

But I couldn't just send an email to his teacher explaining the above and double checking that he'd made it to class, that wasn't nearly sneaky enough and might have revealed my (admittedly irrational) insecurities about Charlie's ability to walk two-hundred yards inside his locked elementary school and find his classroom. Cleverly I sent the following (TRUE!) email to her.

Dear Mrs. W,

Charlie had a rough night of sleep last night because he mistakenly drank some of our nanny's iced coffee shortly before going to bed. I hope he's doing alright today, but wanted to let you know in case he seemed "off". I hope you have a great weekend!

Best,

Becca Academomia


Yes. That was much better.

And yes, he did make it.

5 comments:

Chiconky said...

That's awesome (and quite clever!) I always go straight for the "I'm sort of neurotic and irrational, but not that crazy kind. More like the cute, endearing kind. Definitely not the crazy kind. Please like me!" and then wonder why they look at me funny. I think I'll try your approach next time...

Kyla said...

So funny! KayTar started Big School at age 3...and one time she DID wander off in the building! They found her and I didn't know about it until later, but YIKES! By the time she was in Kinder she seemed like she had been in school forEVER, so I was a pretty chill Kindergarten parent.

Candy Masters said...

Yep, you are pretty clever alright! I might have drived, drove, driven over there and wasted gas (I didn't sleep well either!)
PS: did you see big Tex on the news? Break it to Charlie easy! They will undoubtedly get him fixed up intime for next year's fair. Hugs all around...

Sarah said...

nice subterfuge!

Erica said...

Sneakiness. I like it.