Monday, August 6, 2012

And so it begins

I knew we were in trouble when Wes ran into our bedroom just after dawn this morning and announced "I'm FIVE AND A HALF!"

I was half asleep and mumbled "No sweetheart, you are three and a half."

He collapsed into a puddle on the floor and wailed "BUT I WANT TO GO TO CAMP WITH CHAAAAAR-WEEEEE!"

The rest of the forty minutes before we had to leave for camp went as follows:

"Wes, you can be the big boy! You're my big helper! We're going to have so much fun!"

"BUT I WANT TO GO TO CAMP WITH CHAAAAAR-WEEEEE!"

"Wes, do you want to go to the pool after we drop Charlie off? What would you like to do today? Anything you want!"

"I WANT TO GO TO CAMP WITH CHAAAAAR-WEEEEE!"

"How about we go to Starbucks and get a chocolate milk after we drop him off?"

"BUT I WANT TO GO TO CAMP WITH CHAAAAAR-WEEEEE!"

ETC.

As a special bonus, I had to sunscreen and bugspray all of the children even though two of them were planning on spending some quality time indoors in the Y Childwatch, a.k.a. "The Treehouse", which was the only thing I could get Wes excited about, while I went to yoga. All for one and one for all.

Here they are as we got ready to back out of the garage and into the end of Charlie's childhood.

IMG_0262

Charlie very solemnly asked Wes to care for his lovies in his absence. Wes took the responsibility very seriously. Charlie told Wes that he needed to be a good boy for me and take good care of James. He told him that Papa was going to text him later with a secret message. Charlie had, of course, orchestrated the whole thing with Ryan before we left.

I thought Charlie was nervous, but as soon as we rolled up to the lodge where I was to drop him off he leapt over the middle row seat like Lola Jones and was out of the car before I knew what was happening.

This is the best picture I got of the occasion.

IMG_0264

And Wes was heartbroken. Ultimately, we couldn't even go to The Treehouse because when we got there I found Ryan's keys in the pool bag, which meant Ryan was stranded at home thirty minutes after he usually leaves for work. As we raced home I negotiated a deal for the OTHER Y, the one with the ballpit, plus a trip to Starbucks with Wes.

Wes did not know what to do in the playground when we got there. I watched him from afar for several minutes as he stood silently sucking his thumb and looking around. Later when I picked him up he told me "I like the ballpit, but it is not the same without Charlie. I had to be really really tough. The kid with the green shirt hit me, so I hit him back. I was so proud when he ran away!"

Alrighty.

As for me, I am at loose ends without my usual coping mechanism of inventing an errand up to the church then spying on the kids on the playground before lunch. On rainy days, they will cheerfully check on your child for you if you call the front desk, AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WANT! That's not the case at camp. Will he reapply sunscreen? Can he open his juicebox? Will he make friends? Will he have fun? I have to wait until 4:30 to find out and it is KILLING ME.

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

Aww....poor Wes, and poor you! i hope he had a great first day and it wasn't too hard on you!

Brooke said...

Your boys are the best brothers. Can't wait to hear how camp went.

Kyla said...

KayTar has been doing day camp since she was 3, so I'm used to it. But I think I remember being a mess the first time, too! Like Wes, KayTar used to HATE when BubTar went to do things without her, but now she happily announces "It's a Bubba-free day!" So, he'll get used to being the BMOC pretty quickly.

CMasters said...

that photo of Wes in the back of the van really reminds me of a Dukey face from my childhood!