Monday, July 30, 2012

The First Ever Academomia Family Olympiad

In honor of the 2012 Summer Olympics, our family is trying to do something active every night during the games. This is an idea I came up with on the fly after eating a double patty melt and most of the kids' fries at Freddy's Saturday night. Maybe I should be more active and stop acting like a member of the East German men's weightlifting team, minus the eight hour workouts, I thought.

So instead of getting the kids haircuts as planned, we headed to the middle school to run around on the "real track" just like in the parade of nations. The kids were beside themselves.

IMG_0867

The first thing Charlie and Wes did was run a quarter of a mile. Without stopping. I am not exaggerating. I have never done that even once in my life. This is the kind of energy people are talking about when they approach me in the grocery store with looks of awe, "Three boys?! Woooowwww."

James was more interested in the field sports, like soccer. He also enjoyed the freedom of roaming a huge fenced area with no one following him around. He lasted almost half an hour before making a break for the only open gate in the whole place.

IMG_0874

I am not proud of the next two pictures, because apparently I stole the ball from a toddler then ran down the field and scored on a five year old.

IMG_0878
IMG_0880

Later Ryan and I ran a friendly little one hundred yard race, he in jeans and me barefoot, so let's just say no one is headed to London anytime soon. I might just head into the kitchen for another slice of tres leches cake though. Mmm cake.

While I was in the land of 10,000 lakes Ryan and Charlie created an Olympic mascot for our family. It spent a few days sitting in the stroller in the living room where it could enjoy the events with us, but then we had friends over and ate him.

IMG_0813

We skipped Sunday because it's the day of rest and also because for Ryan and me, staying awake and not being completely mowed down by the children between 7 AM and 7 PM was a marathon in itself. Vacation re-entry is BAD.

But tonight we were back in the game with two events. The first was Olympic Slip and Sliding, which was a huge hit.

IMG_0921

Next, because we had my niece over, we made some ribbon sticks and had rhythmic gymnastics time in the backyard. Charlie initially thought the ribbon stick idea was too girly, until he noticed that the line between gymnastics and sword fighting was narrow and blurry. I did not get any pictures of that event because I was trying to chop zucchini while holding a thirty pound child who is still pissed that I went on a trip by myself. It sounded like they were having a great time though.

I'm not sure what we'll do tomorrow night, but it's really hot so that eliminates a number of things that would be otherwise fun, like bike riding. Maybe I'll make the kids do another yoga video!

10 comments:

Alyssa said...

Great idea!! Re: taking the ball from a toddler and scoring on a 5-year-old --- they need to learn sometime, right? :D

Brooke said...

Brilliant. You guys are the cutest. And C & W running a quarter mile? Oof. I'm impressed.

Erica said...

Anna is becoming a Jillian Michaels fan. She enjoys the jumping jacks.

WhitMc said...

That is a really good idea! The Olympics finally inspired me to sign D up for swim lessons, does that count? It totally does, I have to get in the pool with her!

Candy said...

Awesome August Activities!!
Welcome home Bec, I bet everybody missed you big time.

Did you hear one country (Malaysia)got their badminton team tossed out on account of cheating? They were trying to LOSE!

Kyla said...

What a fun idea! And just as a heads up on the haircuts. JcPenneys is doing free kids' haircuts in August for kids in Kinder and up. So one of your guys would qualify!

CP said...

etI freaking love the mascot!

CP said...

*I* not "etl" ...UGH!

Rima said...

You guys are awesome! Watching the Olympics this week has also made me briefly consider getting up off the couch.

sarah said...

Edible mascot--BRILLIANT IDEA!