Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Thick as Theives

Last night when we went upstairs to take the kids to bed Charlie was in Wes's room.  He had made Wes's bed extra special for him, smoothing out the covers and arranging the pillows in a nice stack by the headboard.  Wes was in a terrible snit about something unrelated and when he saw the nice thing Charlie had done he said "I don't want all those pillows!" and knocked them to the floor.

Charlie was crushed.  He started crying and ran to his room.  I took Wes by the shoulders and said sternly "You hurt his feelings.  He did something nice for you and you HURT him."  And then he was sobbing too.

This morning I was still in bed when I heard Wes open Charlie's door.  The very first thing he said to Charlie this morning was "I am sorry.  Thanks."

Charlie came out of his room and said "Want to go have breakfast?"  So they went downstairs together.

Since it was ten after six, I was very excited that they had managed to figure out breakfast all by themselves and I let them mess around down there alone for almost forty-five minutes before stumbling down the stairs.

The smell was the first thing that hit me.  It wasn't bad, exactly, but it wasn't good either.  And I couldn't identify it.

The next thing I noticed is that Wes was sitting in the sink, completely naked.  And Charlie was spraying him with water.  He was spraying him with water to get the mayonnaise off HIS BACK.

Then I turned to the table and found The Crime Scene.  Mystery smell identified!  It was mayo.  SO MUCH MAYO all over the table in a giant snowdrift on top off a single piece of bread.  Nearby was a second sandwich made from items Charlie upcycled from the compost bowl.

He explained.  "We made ourselves breakfast!"

"Wow, guys, that's really great" I managed, while I got them towels and made them start cleaning up.

Wes told me he hadn't liked his sandwich after he had made it, but he did explain that he couldn't find a knife and had used his hands instead, which still doesn't explain the nudity but sort of explains the mayonnaise body art.  We made a point to go to the pool this morning so he doesn't smell like a Subway anymore.

15 comments:

CP said...

Hilarious! And I love your calm reaction!

Kim said...

This is one for the record books -- too funny!!

Melinda said...

Best story ever! Oh how that made me laugh. Thank you for sharing.

Candy said...

oh my goodness
SOMEBODY must have hidden all the knives!
I remember using mayo for conditioner in my hair once, it worked great but you do have to rinse thoroughly.
Soo glad it had a happy ending, maybe your two boys will be good friends one day after all! sometimes I wonder, but on the other hand I get along great with my siblings now, but there were times...

WhitMc said...

AMAZING. Wow.

SnarkyMommy said...

I will have you know I just snorted in Starbucks. Twice.

Jessica said...

Siblings are the best. This makes me want to be young and messing around with my sisters again.

Chiconky said...

Please tell me that you took a picture!

Phoenix Rising said...

can't. stop. laughing!! I love your kids!

jenny_lucey said...

I love you guys. I am glad other families have such craziness.

Sarah said...

Hilarious! The upcycled sandwich killed me.

Nora said...

And I'm glad I was behind in posts and had already woken the baby with the last so he only glared at me as I shook with laughter over this one.

My Kids are such wusses. They NEVER ask for compost for brekkie, only sugar cereal.

Rima said...

Those two crack me up! At least Charlie tried to hose Wes down! They are so luck to have each other.

Elsha said...

This is just so awesome.

sarah said...

omg. I just.....its too much. LOL

mayonnaise body art & upcycled compost killed me.