Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Buddies

I came downstairs this afternoon and found Wes sobbing in a heap on the floor.  Naturally, I assumed that Charlie had done something to hurt him, so I asked him what happened.  Charlie explained "He wants to go to kindergarten with me."

I scooped Wes up and tried to reassure him.  "You'll go to preschool and be the big boy!  And then you will go to kindergarten in two years!"

He sobbed into my chest "But I'll be LONELY here!"

It took a long time to cheer him up, but when he did I said "You will be my big helper when Charlie is at school. You'll be the man of the house!"

He smiled and said "It's good to be a MAN!"

When they'd known each other a week...

DSC04079

And three and a half years...

IMG_0032

It's going to be a hard day for the whole family. I'm glad they didn't open that Swiss Boarding Elementary School I dreamed of several years ago when I had a two year old and an infant.

6 comments:

g'ma Melody said...

That is the cutest brother picture I have ever seen - bar none. I think it is marketable! Love the face on Wes, the popsicle dribbles on Charley (did I get the right name on the right kid?), and absolutely everything about it.

Kim said...

So sweet!! We are bracing for the same sadness, from both of them, when Aidan heads off to kindergarten! And, kindergarten!?! When did this happen!?!

Kristen said...

Wes and yourself will be over the sadness within a day or two. He will totally run the show with just James and him! Go WES!

Kyla said...

So sweet!

Erica said...

So who should I talk to to get that Swiss Boarding Elementary School back on track?

sarah said...

omg, how sweet are they???!!! I love how raw their emotions are and everything is either a tragedy or a celebration. So sweet.