Monday, April 30, 2012

Unfortunately I did forget the PB&J and juice boxes

Today is the first day of finals week at my school and my final isn't until Friday, so after I dropped the chitlins off at preschool I was free to do whatever I wanted for the next four hours, as long as I could do it with James in tow and looking like I had just rolled out of bed and gotten into the car (which is pretty much how it went down this morning, when I did not notice Charlie and I were both wearing our superhero 5K shirts until we got to preschool. Actually, that's not completely true. I was wearing *Ryan's* superhero 5K shirt because mine fits too much like a shirt and not enough like pajamas. Adorable).

So, since I needed a few staples, I headed to one of my favorite places in town, the Fancy Grocery Store. I can only go there with the big boys if I have an extra $30 to blow and several hours to spend on the playground, so we only go about once every month or two, but if I had it my way I would live next door and spend each morning standing in the middle of the giant produce department weeping with joy smelling things to my heart's content before carefully selecting the perfect cut of meat/bottle of wine/imported cheese combination for that evening's dinner. Incidentally, that is our retirement plan. It's written down in our file at the financial planner's. We may get there we may not. And also, if my freeway fantasies involve living next to the good grocery store then perhaps I need to expand my horizons.

There was a close parking spot in the Customer With Child parking area and getting James out was so easy I felt kind of guilty taking it. I spent a gloriously long time in the produce section, running my eyes over the huge bunches of spinach and kale. Smelling all the apples and oranges. With no idea what to make for dinner tonight I just picked out whatever looked the best. Two watermelon quarters, a big bunch of spinach. I took an extra lap just to make sure I'd really seen everything, then found myself in the fish market where, because I could hear the thoughts in my own head, I said to myself "Hey, Charlie's been asking for fish tacos. I should do that for dinner tonight. They wrapped up my tilapia and put it on ice for me and then I spent ten glorious minutes picking out the perfect sauces to go with it (I ended up with some Hatch Green Chile salsa and some sour cream to mix it with).

Next stop was the cookie and muffin buffet, which James is very familiar with. He started up the Oliver Twist "more" routine as soon as we rounded the corner and since he was the only one there, I treated him to a banana granola muffin so he would have something to munch on while I picked out my cookies (Kitchen sink and pretzel logic, SWOON). The tortillas I picked up next for our tacos were still piping hot and I had to resist the urge to hold them to my cheek and sing "I Must Have Done Something Good" from the Sound of Music. Good food is a beautiful thing.

I scooped up some of the bulk pico de gallo and chimichurri salsa (and passed up a good three others that I also wanted to try) on the way to the register and resisted the urge to stock up on the family-size casseroles in the deli as I passed by. I did not, however, resist the urge to pick up two dark chocolate with sea salt bars next to the register. And the most delicious cup of iced tea I've ever had. And a mozzarella, basil, and tomato sandwich. You know, to go with the cookies and the tea.

It was glorious. And very, very decadent. And somehow, even with all that lingering and browsing only took an hour and only cost $40. And James still took a nap when I got home, so I should probably go take a shower and change my shirt now. Nah, it's summer break.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

How in the hell did you only spend $40? Jack and I go to Whole Foods for lunch and spend more than that sans groceries. I can't buy a meal for less than $80. I need to learn grocery tips from you :)

lonek8 said...

I'm hungry now. sounds delicious!

WhitMc said...

I want to live next door to your retirement villa by the Fancy Grocery.

Brooke said...

I'm totally drooling right now. And I think you might have hit on a huge investment opportunity--retirement villages with extra-special-good grocery stores as their central feature. I'm sold.

LL said...

This post made me smile the whole way through. It reminds me of my first trip to Target after Claire was born, with a sweet sleepy Clairebear and 60 full minutes to kill. Glorious. I think I spent 30 minutes in the curtain aisle visualizing different rooms for each curtain. I loved them all and bought none.

Also, I'm totally jealous of your dinner - sounds delicious!

BeeBeeZfa said...

This made me hungry for good food. I am the same way in a nice grocery store!

Erica said...

Aaaaaaaah I absolutely swear to you, sometimes when I am stressed out I imagine being in the middle of that very same Fancy Grocery Store. It is my happy place.