Sunday, April 22, 2012

It's a baby par-tay!

I'm not quite sure it happened, but one minute I was talking to my friend over a Sunday School half door about drinking margaritas in a back yard wading pool and the next we were invited over to her house for a cookout. After family naptime I stopped by the store for guacamole and wine and swim diapers and we headed over to their house.

James's little buddy had just woken up so he kept him company while he ate his lunch.

IMG_4837

Charlie and Wes jumped in the pool first thing, but got out briefly for popsicles. Later I asked Wes if his popsicle tasted like a rainbow and when he said "Yes!" Charlie snarked back "That's not possible, Wes. Rainbows are made from WATER and LIGHT." Poor Wes. There will be no childlike wonder in THIS house. Only facts. Cold, hard facts from the kid who puts his stuffed animals out on the back porch for a few hours a day so "they can talk to each other where he can't hear them" (I love this, by the way, so I hope he never stops).

IMG_4838

The water was cold. The ducky towel was a hot commodity.

IMG_4845

We squeezed as many kids as we could around the little picnic table for hot dogs and strawberries and banana bread.

IMG_4847

They take eating very seriously.

IMG_4849

The babies felt like going for a swim. (The mothers felt like, um, sitting under the umbrella drinking wine. There are no pictures of that)

IMG_4839

And then we made them all pose for a picture before someone freaked out. That's four one year olds, two three year olds, two five year olds, a seven year old, and a thirteen year old. The four one year olds cracked me up. Total bedlam!

IMG_4852

I thought the kids would be worn out but it's 9:30 and Wes is still awake. He's howling in his room as I write this. Should make for a rough day tomorrow. And now I have to prep THE LAST LECTURE OF THE SEMESTER. I saved a bunch of papers to hand back so I could cut off ten minutes of lecture time. And then we talk about the effects of anthropogenic climate change. I hope to get them all riled up. I am going to miss this bunch SO much!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can hardly recognize James, he has become a kid this winter! Charlie looks chilly in that picture, like a human popsicle holding a rainbow popsicle. You can tell him I said that, and he is so much MORE than water and light!

Alyssa said...

Oh my gosh - what a fun day! That last photo is precious.

Dr. Maureen said...

HE PUTS THEM ON THE PORCH SO THEY CAN TALK TO EACH OTHER? That is the cutest thing EVER.

WhitMc said...

So. Many. Babies. I love it. But the best thing ever is the stuffed animal private time. Very important.

Sarah said...

Love the stuffed animals on the porch-- hahahaha!

Looks like such a fun afternoon!

Erica said...

Stuffed animals definitely need their privacy.

BeeBeeZfa said...

Cutest group picture known to man!