Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dress Hunters

Tomorrow morning I will be going to a very hip music festival with my very hip friend Amy.  I will get there by riding a train filled with hipsters and also people dressed for work.  And I'm not going to lie, although I am very excited about the whole thing, I am a little intimidated by all that cool.

Last year, I wore a freaking maternity dress and sensible shoes and pulled my hair back.  I was expecting a sedate dinner at a nice restaurant, but we ended up at the W Hotel listening to bands afterward.  But since Amy told everyone I had a three month old at home, it didn't matter what I looked like, people were either impressed that I was there or terrified by my very presence.

Now, I'm hoping to look like I fit in.  No excuses.  This is HARD!  And so I've been doing a lot of angsty shopping.  Tonight while I was at my favorite little boutique, Marshalls, I noticed that I hear the narrator from "House Hunters" in my head while I am shopping.

The first dress had the lowest price of the three, but it clung in weird places and would require a bra upgrade.  The second dress was double the price range, but was very flattering and hid the belly pooch well.  It had the added benefit of working with shoes she already has.  Dress number three was priced right, and was a nice length, but would definitely require Spanx.  Becca is not sure she wants to wear Spanx to an all-day event.

And so on.

To make a long story short, I decided to not spend any money tonight and will be finding something to wear from my closet.  Now I only have to decide if I want to go with "Ironic Stay at Home Mom" or "Ironic Physics Professor".  Both will require sensible shoes, which I already own.

5 comments:

sarah said...

HAHAHAHA!!! I love the House Hunters commentary. You are gorgeous & will be fabulous in anything you pick out! Have FUN!!

LL said...

Love it!! If I wasn't moving tomorrow I would totally have gone to our favorite boutique together. Not that you even need help, but I think my being there would have required the purchase of non-sensible shoes, and shoes do not need HGTV commentary. And probably a dress as well, because you would need something to go with the new shoes :)

Have fun!

Sarah said...

Hilarious commentary-- I love it. You are going to be adorable-- what happened to that super cute dress from BlogHer? Wear that-- it was adorable :)

Steph said...

Do we have the same voice in our heads? I ALWAYS talk myself out of buying anything when I go shopping alone. Have fun & let me know what the real (adult) world is like.

Phoenix Rising said...

HAHAHAAA!!!! House Hunters. I will never shop the same.