Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I'll just carry it with the monogram on the inside

I bought James some new curtains the other day and as a result of those clearance curtains I bought with a gift card, I now find myself in need of a new quilt to match them. Nothing fancy, just a navy blue quilt for his future big boy bed. And maybe some matching shams with a planet motif. My budget for this project is about $40, so I have been combing Craigslist and Ebay, with no luck. Today the kids were bored, so I suggested we go to Tuesday Morning, where not only could they be bored, but I could look for a new quilt at the same time.

I bribed them with a hot chocolate on the way home and we got out of the house so early that we got there thirty minutes before the store opened. I didn't want to wait, or get them their treat early, so I drove to the next block and pulled into the next best thing, the Goodwill/Salvation Army Shopping Center of Thrift. I do so love it there.

There were no quilts, but that left plenty of time for browsing and reminding the kids to look with their eyes as I touched every single thing that caught my eye. I threw a skirt into the basket, and a plastic bin for Legos, picked up and put back a stack of traffic cones that might have been fun for bike courses, and THEN, I found the PIECE DE RESISTANCE.

IMG_1837

A HUGE L.L. Bean Boat and Tote IN MY SCHOOL COLORS. FOR $5.99!!! And it was practically brand new! It had some initials monogrammed on it, but it didn't bother me. IT WAS PERFECT! I bought it without a moment's hesitation.

I used it to buy groceries on the way home. I wondered about the person who would donate such a beautiful bag. I mean, I've been wanting one just like it for a couple of years, but haven't wanted to spend the $40, considering I have a perfectly serviceable (if not pretty, clean, or in good condition) pool bag already.

It was so awesome to carry in the whole load of groceries with one hand. Everything fit inside easily. I gazed at it lovingly as I stirred the butter into the kids' macaroni and cheese. I felt like one of those effortlessly stylish women we see in Maine, heading into the grocery store with their boat and tote over arm. Why would someone take something so wonderful to Goodwill, I wondered again.

And then I gave the monogram a second look.

IMG_1838

Does that say...pus?

Oh dear. It all made sense. Someone must have ordered it online, just as I excited as I was to find it. They typed their initials in as they ordered their tasteful embroidered monogram, "PSV". A week later, the package arrived and they eagerly ripped it open and pulled their new bag out, turned it over and thought "PUS?!!!!!??"

I think that makes me love it even more.

15 comments:

SnarkyMommy said...

This makes it worth FAR more than you paid!!!

Sarah said...

Hilarious!!

Andrea said...

I guess you could try to rip PUS out with a seam ripper? But then again that might be even worse! At least it's a conversation piece.

Jessica said...

I love those bags! There's an LL Bean outlet in Connecticut and they always have returned monogrammed bags. I found a kid sized one with my son's first initial on it for $3. I was super pumped.

I never saw any initials so crazy, though. That makes it extra cool.

Phoenix Rising said...

I see pus bags are making a comeback.

Kim said...

Too funny! What a great bag -- I have always coveted one of those as well. My current pool bag is from Target and is already falling apart. I love LL Bean (I'm wearing their "wicked good" slippers right now in fact!)

Christin said...

Have someone with stitching skills change it to B "heart" R, love my super sized tote, so big Emily at age 7 fit inside it!

Chiconky said...

That's awesome!

Erica said...

I like it.

Lemonpuss said...

I just fondled the best planet fabric at JoAnn's. Want me to send a pic or a couple yards?

Rima said...

That is totally awesome. Seriously! Also, I love Tuesday Morning and Goodwill, but I can't take my kids to the Goodwill anymore because last time Jonas rubbed his face in a sofa and was sick for three days afterwards.

Kyla said...

Hahaha! You can just carry it with the monogram facing you...or flip it around when you feel like you are in need of a conversation piece.

Candy on Endeavor said...

Lets see, can we think of some super sophisticated name to go with the monogram so you can give a fake name to someone who is bothering you? How about Penelope Sue Underpants?
LOVE the new bag, Go Beck
PS: Yesterday D and I spent $12 in our local Sal Army and got a pr of khaki pants, a (men's) swimsuit, 2 pr shorts and 4 short sleeve shirts!

sarah said...

HAHAHAHA!!! That is priceless!

khaki pants for men said...

Yes, this makes it worth far more than you paid!!!