Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Welcome Home

Last week when I got home from San Francisco, the kids were already in bed.  I kissed their sweet faces, talked to Ryan for a few minutes, then went to bed myself, since it was nearly midnight.  Around 2:00 Charlie came wandering into our room.

He was cold and couldn't find Phent and he went to Ryan's side of the bed to ask for help.  He was all smiles when he saw me sit up in bed.  I led him back to his room and wrapped him in a quilt on the floor while I searched his bed for Phent.

As I smoothed the sheets and pulled the blanket and quilt up and tucked everything in tight he was talking, talking, talking.

"Mama, do you know what the biggest magnet is?  It's THE WHOLE WORLD.  The WHOLE WORLD is a magnet.  It has a north pole and a south pole just like a magnet.  And a compass needle sticks to the earth!  It sticks to the North Pole.  Santa doesn't live at the North Pole, that's just where the compass needle sticks.  The whole world is a magnet!"

I scooped him up and tucked him (and Phent) back into bed, rubbed his arms to warm him up, then leaned in to give him another hug.  He grabbed on and wouldn't let go.

"Night, night, Buddy!  See you in the morning!"

"The earth is a huge magnet!  'Grabbity' holds the moon in its ORBIT!"

"It's sleeping time, Sweetie, I'll see you tomorrow."

"And the compass needle sticks to the North Pole!"

"Night night, Charlie."

And then he was asleep.

9 comments:

Mama Bub said...

I love the stories kids, tell. "Grabbity" might be my favorite part.

Brooke said...

I love that you appear to be raising a trio of little scientists. I feel like there should be a sitcom of your family.

Chiconky said...

I love your baby scientists! I love that he was so excited about the North Pole, and I agree, "grabbity" is about the cutest kid-ism I've ever heard.

Hillary said...

This is so sweet. I do love coming home to the kiddos.

Elsha said...

This is just too cute.

Kyla said...

So cute! Tiny science nerds are awesome.

Rima said...

He's gonna be a scientist! He already knows more about grabbity than I do! For example, the correct spelling :)

Phoenix Rising said...

oh, to fall asleep to the beautiful, calming dreams of 'grabbity'...

sarah said...

love it! "grabbity" might just be the cutest thing ever. Ever.