Sunday, December 4, 2011

This is what a geoscientist looks like

IMG_1625

At 6:30 in the morning. After only a few sips of coffee. I'm on my way to San Francisco for a conference. A PROFESSIONAL CONFERENCE. Where I will be talking about things! Science things! And going to sessions on such interesting topics as getting NSF grants, including quantitative instruction in geoscience classes, and boundary layer fluxes in the sub-Saharan region and the effect of political instability in the region (that's not a real thing).

Anyway. I only cried a little bit after I kissed Ryan and Wes goodbye (everyone else was asleep) and climbed into the Neon for the harrowing thirty minute drive to the airport. Harrowing because I no longer drive in the dark, pretty much ever, and also because it was raining, which also never happens anymore (I'm also going to a session about that!).

I'm going to miss them like crazy. But I think I will learn a lot and have some fun.

And also sleep in a king-sized bed ALL BY MYSELF. Kinda looking forward to that part, especially after spending the morning curled up in a queen with a barely-potty trained three year old who is afraid of all precipitation.

On Friday we'll all be yelling at each other in the costume room for the church's Live Nativity and everything will be back to normal.  I'm kind of looking forward to that too.

11 comments:

Actuary Mom said...

Have fun on your break!!

Steph said...

Enjoy the conference; it's one of my favorites. I can't believe who all is going in the one year that I'm not going.

Enjoy SFO, too. Be sure to get to the Macy's Christmas displays! (And peak at the Tiffany's windows across the way, too, so you can add to your Christmas list.) ;-)

Alyssa said...

Oh, have fun! We have some people going to that conference - but not me (or else we could have met up!). Have a great time, and enjoy your King size bed (not that I need to tell you that).

Sarah said...

Have so much fun! And I am jealous that you get to hang with blog friends along the way.

Candy Masters said...

Grandma and I are sending along good wishes for a great conference and may your presentation go swimmingly!!

hugs from Candy and G-ma in Exeter

CP said...

Have fun at the conference! Enjoy every second of your alone time! For some reason, I LOVE traveling all on my own.

Kyla said...

Have fun!!

andreaunplugged said...

Yay for sleeping in a bed all alone! I love San Francisco, so just know how jealous I am back here sitting at work.

Phoenix Rising said...

You make science look so cute! Also, I hate driving in the dark, and in the rain, and espcially in the rainy darkness because everything gets all blurred together. (My vision is horrible.) And also, when I was 10 I started telling people that "within my lifetime we're going to switch seasons with Australia - and they'll have snow in winter and we'll [Wisconsin people] be in shorts!" so that probably explains the wonky weather patterns. If you need me to talk about it at your conference feel free to give me a call. All I require is my own private room with king sized bed and extra pillows....

Hillary said...

Oh have a great time! I have no idea about anything you'll be talking about, but I know how lovely it is to get out of the house and be in total work/professional mode for a bit. Enjoy it. And then bask in the love when you get home.

WhitMc said...

YAY San Francisco! I can't believe I missed you last night, stupid food poisoning! If there is any chance to squeeze in coffee between fancy science talks, let me know and I will head your way!