Tuesday, November 29, 2011

You win some you lose some

Because Tuesdays are long and formless in our house, I decided it was time to make a little holiday cheer. Time for some dough ornaments!

With a snarky "making holiday memories" in my head, I Googled "dough ornaments" and was directed to this website, aptly named "Making Memories". We already had all the ingredients on hand, so I whipped up the dough during the kids' first hour (of approximately fifteen-thousand) of screentime in the morning. After their show was over, we rolled it out and cut the shapes out together then stuck them in the oven for an hour.

For whatever reason, everybody was completely insane today, so it was a special hour of reminding the children to PUT YOUR SHOES BACK ON OUT THERE IT'S FORTY-FIVE DEGREES and asking Wes if he needed to go potty eleven times a minute.

When the ornaments were out of the oven and James was awake we headed to Target for some groceries, paint, and glitter. You would think that getting everyone into the car for as fun a reason as buying paint for your awesome homemade Christmas ornaments would be a snap, but YOU WOULD BE WRONG. There was whining and stubbornness and endless requests to put your seatbelt/shoes/coat on. I considered scrapping the whole thing right then, but it was only ten o'clock in the morning and I had another eight hours to kill before Ryan would be home, so we pressed on.

Fortunately, the bananas they ate in the car on the way home perked them right up because we had a really lovely time painting ornaments together. It was like they were under a spell. A spell called "This is like school. School makes me feel calm and secure." (James was napping, by the way. This was not a James-approved activity. In fact, I made one ornament with his handprint on it, then while I ran to the pantry to get a rag to wipe the paint off of his hand he covered his entire head with red Crayola washable paint. Adorable).

Charlie's were very meticulous and detailed...

IMG_1576

Wes's were bright and cheerful with lots of glitter...

IMG_1575

The kitchen looked like a winter wonderland between all the flour, glitter, and multicolored paint droplets sprayed onto every surface within six feet of the table. And every time I passed the cookie sheet with the extra ornaments on it I thought they were sugar cookies and almost tried to eat one. I finally just made some actual cookies so I wouldn't keep getting disappointed. But ornament-making was a HIT. We all had so much fun.

And they came out so pretty!

IMG_1578 IMG_1577
I made the Rossby one.

We made about twenty-five in all and I'm considering making another batch and using them exclusively on our tree this year since I anticipate we will have some James-related tree drama.

The kids went nuts later in the afternoon and so now I am sitting here on my computer while Ryan unpacks our suitcase from this weekend to atone for not being here for Screamfest-2011 in which there were multiple injuries, much back-talking, ceaseless fighting, and a scorpion stuck to James's pants. But that is a story for another day.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

A spell called "This is like school. School makes me feel calm and secure."-- OMG this made me laugh so hard.

They are such neat workers! My kids have horrible fine motor skills-- there would have been paint pretty much everywhere but on the ornaments.

I think a tree full of those would be so cute!!

Kim said...

Sounds like so much fun! I really like the Rossby one -- do you have a JRT cookie cutter or did you freehand that one? Hooray for the holidays!

Phoenix Rising said...

You're very brave. There's currently a restraining order against paint and glitter being located within 50 yards of my house.

Elsha said...

Looks like fun! I've been trying to decide on a craft that would be good for my 3 1/2 year old. Maybe this is it!

Erica said...

I apologize that this has nothing to do with this post, but every time I see your profile picture it makes me happy. And want to go to Central Market.

Kyla said...

Hey! That sounds like a fun activity to do. BubTar *might* think he is too cool/old for it (unless I can find one that he could decorate as Doctor Who)...but KayTar would love it.