Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Wesley No-Nap

I'm not sure, but I think Wes might be ready to drop his nap.  You can imagine how I feel about this development, coinciding with the time change so nicely as it has.  It's been harder and harder to get him to sleep at night.  Bedtime ends around 7:30 and then Ryan and I come downstairs to relax and push back the carnage that's overtaking our house for another day.  And then around 8:00 Wes appears at the top of the stairs.

"I have to go potty."

Ryan and I look at each other until someone blinks then that person goes upstairs to help him.  Sometimes he goes potty.  Sometimes he stands naked by the toilet asking you fifteen thousand nonsensical questions then declares himself "all done, no tinkles!" before pulling up his pants and toddling off to bed.

So that happens like fourteen or fifteen times before the angry-back-in-beds begin.  That's when you go upstairs and use every ounce of will in your body to place him gently in his bed instead of dumping him on the floor and slamming his door.

Finally, around 9:45, we are reasonably certain he has fallen asleep.  Sure enough, he is usually conked out on the floor with his back against his door around 10:30 when I go to bed.  It is special and relaxing.

So yesterday when he didn't fall asleep on the way home from school and the playground I thought we'd go for it.  No nap.  They watched a movie instead then ran out the back door to play.

He was pleasant all afternoon and went to bed at 7:00 without any encores.

Then today he woke up at 5:30.  Ryan left for a meeting at 6:00.  It was a long morning.

They are upstairs for quiet time right now, but instead I hear what sounds like a cooking show on the TV in my room and a bunch of spitting noises and hysterical laughter.  Bad boys.  Bad, bad boys.

But hey!  We all got haircuts today after yoga!  And by that, I mean they got haircuts and I got to spend an hour wearing grungy workout clothes in a room full of mirrors.

But LOOK! THERE WAS TODDLER HIDING UNDER ALL THE BABY HAIR! I don't even know what to say about this. Except WATCH OUT LADIES!

IMG_1515

9 comments:

Sarah said...

He is so cute! And grown up! My kids both stopped napping at 2. It was very sad.

WhitMc said...

Best line ever: "It was special and relaxing."

Elsha said...

My favorite thing about Kalena learning to use the potty without help is that she'll do it after bedtime. Which means she won't come out unless she actually has to go, because nobody is there to talk to.

Love the toddler hair, and look at those big blue eyes!

Kim said...

James is so handsome!!

Nap/bedtime limbo is terrible. We are dancing this dance with Zoe right now, and you are right, it sure is "special and relaxing."

Mama Bub said...

My four year old just dropped his nap for the most part. He still naps once or twice a week. He hasn't started sleeping any later, but he goes to bed so easily and so early that it's totally worth the trade off!

Rima said...

Oh, man. When naptime ended at our house, I was a total wreck. James has the most beautiful blue eyes! He's going to be a ladykiller!

Tara said...

Oh, those EYES!

Kyla said...

Oh my gosh! Look at those eyes! (BubTar has those big piercing eyes, too, I love it!)

Good luck with the transition to no-napville. Ahhh, memories.

sarah said...

" I got to spend an hour wearing grungy workout clothes in a room full of mirrors." What a fun time!

Middle of the night potty trips make me miss diapers.