Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Drippity, Droppity, Doo

IMG_1550

To my dear, sweet, middle child,

I love your spirit, your sense of fun, and your curiosity.  Some day those qualities will serve you well.  Like if you live in a frat house, for example.  Some ancient, ramshackle frat house with ancient ramshackle plumbing at some mid-level state university somewhere would be the perfect place to get drunk and fall asleep on a shower drain experiment with water.

A less appropriate place to play with water is in the upstairs bathroom of our house while you are supposed to be asleep.  Because when I am downstairs with my game night friends, what I want to hear is stories about children, husbands, family size plans, wild things we did in college, and things you can do with a crockpot.  Not dripping water.  And then DRIPPING WATER.  And then the sound of a small waterfall coming out of an HVAC duct, soaking through the kitchen rug, and pooling on the floor.

Ironically, my love, we had just discussed white noise machines and then all of the sudden there was a real live Amazon Waterfall right there in my very own kitchen.  Your timing is impeccable.

But when, after I summon Papa to the kitchen with a tone of voice so alarming that he comes flying down the stairs two at a time, and after surveying the scene he immediately runs back up the stairs, three at a time, to find the source of the water, he finds you sitting in your bed with wet socks?  He's going to know who it was who plugged the sink, shoved a crayon in the drain, cranked the faucet up to full blast, then calmly closed the door and went back to bed like nothing had ever happened.

So, dear, sweet child-of-mine, I hope "new carpet pad" and "mold abatement" were on your Christmas list.  Because I have a feeling that that is just what Santa had in mind for you.

Ho, ho, ho,

Mom

13 comments:

Sarah said...

mold abatement plan-- ha! hmmmm, did that incident influence the family size plan convo? mid-level state university made me lol.

CP said...

oh NO!!!!!!!! That's my worst nightmare. I hope it's not too much trouble (and expense) to fix!

andreaunplugged said...

All I can say is OH NO!

-R- said...

OH DEAR LORD! What is wrong with children?!

Brooke said...

I'm sure he had a very scientific experiment in mind when he stuck the crayon in the drain...

SnarkyMommy said...

I love that Ryan didn't catch him in the act because he went all stealth back to his room. And thankfully, you were downstairs. Can you imagine if you had been in bed already?????

I hear Santa has elves who specialize in mold abatement, so you're in luck.

WhitMc said...

I have tears in my eyes from laughing. Your wording on this post is hilarious. And o.m.g. WOW.

ho, ho, ho

Phoenix Rising said...

While they say a picture is worth a thousand words, I never would have laughed so hard if you had left out the witty commentary. :)

Anonymous said...

I love me a good Wes story. And that is PRICELESS! I'm remembering the washcloth I found shoved in the shower drain with the shower running full force...and no occupant! Haddie has the same "curiosity."
Heather

Rima said...

Oh, man.

He's really lucky he's so dare CUTE.

justlikegoober said...

O.M.G. I'm sorry for your ordeal, but I appreciate the laugh on this very slow Friday! Good luck!!

Kyla said...

Oh my gosh!! I had a Bunco friend with 3 boys and she once told a story about how her sons barricaded themselves in the bathroom when her husband was watching them and turned on ALL the faucets. It ended in a similar fashion as this story. o_O

bathroom fixtures said...

Regular repair will help prevent leaks. Though this situation with a child can't be compromised.