Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Half a decade

Look who's five!

Hi Charlie!

Guess what he wanted for his present this year. A new Thomas train maybe? A dump truck? Some sidewalk chalk? Nope. He's FIVE now.  Time to start exploring the old Y chromosome.  No better way to do that than to pull a live fish out of a lake and hold it in your hands (and then let it go FTLOG, they have fish at HEB).

IMG_1489

I must admit it is a little shocking to learn that he has interests so different than mine.  A glimpse into the future of Boy Scout campouts where the only thing I can do to protect him is to pack extra dry socks and insect repellent into his backpack as he runs out the door.

Will we always share a love of baking, of chapter books, of learning how the world works?  I don't know. 

But he's still my sweet, smart, snuggly boy for now.  I am so proud of him!

16 comments:

andreaunplugged said...

That's a great present for a 5 year old. Happy Birthday Charlie!!

Alyssa said...

Awww...hard to imagine he was so small! Happy birthday, Charlie! Yay for 5!

lonek8 said...

he is so cute- both as a baby and now. happy birthday Charlie!!

WhitMc said...

Happy Birthday Charlie! He is a "real boy" with all the fishing gear. My dad is counting the days until he can take Declyn fishing.

Dr. Maureen said...

Happy birthday, Charlie! Five. Man. Blows your mind, doesn't it?

Sarah said...

I love going back and looking at newborn pics-- it;s so easy to see the big kid in the baby, you know?

5 sounds really old when you say it like that! Half a decade!

Happy birthday, Charlie!

Elsha said...

Happy birthday! Five, really getting old :) My daughter went fishing for the first time this summer (at a stocked pond obvs) and thought it was GREAT. She was having none of the "let it go" though, she want to eat that bad boy.

Kim said...

Half a decade does sound so old!

What a great birthday present -- he will have so much fun using that equipment!

Happy Birthday, Charlie!

Phoenix Rising said...

Happy Birthday, Charlie! What a CUTE boy! Then and now!!

Kyla said...

Five is such a BIG birthday! How do they get so big, so quick?!

Happy birthday, Charlie!

Twelve Two Times said...

Happy birthday Charlie! What a great present.

Rima said...

Five? I can't believe it! Happy, happy birthday to your sweet boy! Five is fun. When my daughter turned five, she really pulled her act together. Although come to think of it my son is five already and I'm still waiting on him . . Anyway, Happy Birthday Charlie!!!

Kat said...

He is adorable!! I hope he had a wonderful day!!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, little man! It seems like only yesterday...
Charlie and Heather

sarah said...

I hope he had a wonderful birthday!!

I know what you mean about the emerging interests & personalities. Its so weird to know that so much of what they've done and liked up to now is because of us and that's going to change a lot as time goes on now. ::sob::

I can't wait to hear all about the fishing! I have great memories of fishing w/ my dad when I was Charlie's age!

Anonymous said...

Hope the mackerel are running next summer!!