Tuesday, August 30, 2011

One of these things is not like the other



It's no secret that "fall" around here is usually kind of a disappointment for someone accustomed to screaming cold fronts that bring forty mile-per-hour winds and a thirty-degree drop in temperatures during the time it takes to attend a calculus class in shorts and flip flops, but we do what we can. I made some cinnamon bread the other day so it SMELLED like fall! I hung out our autumn wreath so it LOOKS like fall! I was so into it this morning when it was eighty-one instead of eighty-nine that I almost considered buying one of those giant scarecrows they have at Hobby Lobby to stand guard in the front garden (the kids wanted the one whose face actually WAS a crow, oh the irony!).

Next I would like to make a big pot of chili and fill the house with the sounds of Red Raider football (and corresponding yelling at the TV by yours truly, ahem).

Hopefully the atmosphere takes the hint. Our forecast high on Thursday is ninety-three. Better go find the scarves and hats!

4 comments:

sarah said...

Oh, I am so ready for fall!! And September is typically our hottest month out here. Its hard to get used to after a lifetime of Septembers in New England and DC.

Hope you get some cool air soon!!

Sarah said...

OMG. SO hot. It's going to be in the 90s here this weekend, which is totally screwing with me because one the pumpkin spice latte is back, I am ready for sweaters.

Arguably Ambitious said...

I totally made pumpkin bread the other day and announced that everyone was required to pretend it was fall if they wanted a slice.

AJU5's Mom said...

I knew it was hot where you are, but this post made me even more thankful that we didn't get that hot this summer. The 90s are bad enough... Hopefully it will cool down for both of us really soon.