Monday, August 22, 2011

House Rules

We have three simple rules in our house. Literally, three rules. Just like SuperNanny Jo Frost recommends. They are:

1. Be considerate of others.
2. Be respectful of our house and belongings.
3. Focus on what you are doing.

The kids are most familiar with Rule 3. Dilly dallying while getting into your carseat? Rule 3! Taking a coloring break when you're supposed to be putting on your pajamas? Rule 3! Throwing rocks into the sewer instead of following me back to the house? Hit 'em with a Rule 3.

I think I should carry around a yellow flag in my pocket and learn to hurl it right into the center of the action. Maybe we could have instant replay so we could finally see who started the yogurt fight. Because they have their loyalties, and they're not to me or Ryan.

(I should point out that I have gotten up twice for more milk and checked Facebook three times during the course of writing this. Rule 3 for Mama!)

Anyway, I don't know if it's helping or not, but it has added to the teenager-style eye rolls and exasperated sighs coming out of my almost five-year-old. Depending on the time of day and my blood sugar/caffeine level that is either really hilarious or makes me want to drive straight to Nebraska for some Baby Moses Law action.

All this to say, there are two more weeks until preschool starts. The one-hundred degree temperatures don't appear to be letting up anytime soon, the water in the pool is warmer than the kids like their bath, and we are all really, really cranky. Especially me. Especially since Hurricane Irene canceled my plans to return to my old town for a day to work on a paper with Dr. Advisor. It's enough to make me want to eat by flashlight at a Wafflehouse in rural South Carolina (ahh, fieldwork, have fun guys!).

I give my college kids an assessment on Wed and Fri and all I have to do is sit there in that quiet, freezing room for an hour and I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to it.

9 comments:

Steph said...

Oh, man! Does that mean no lunch date? Stupid hurricane.

Anonymous said...

Good rules!! I bet the Wafflehouse-by-flashlight waitress is still more polite than the O'Charley's-with-power waitress :/
gm

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness! Rule 3! They break rule 3 every second of the day. School starts next week for 1 and in 2 weeks for the other. I hope the lag time will be just inconvenient enough for karma to finally let me give birth.

AJU5's Mom said...

I think I need to remember rule 3 with AJU5. Although she readily admits she is "taking a break to play"...

WhitMc said...

Oh, I need to remember Rule 3 myself. It takes me forever just to make dinner, because I am just going to quickly clean out the fridge/empty the dishwasher/check my email again/play with the baby/chase the dog/get a snack because I got hungry...

Phoenix Rising said...

Posting these rules in our house NOW! I love them! Especially Rule 3.

Kyla said...

Those are very good and sneaky rules, because they encompass a lot of little implied rules. Niiiice.

We just went back yesterday/today and honestly, I was not ready for it yet. We had a nice, peaceful summer and I could have enjoyed a bit more of it! We didn't have much whining or crankiness, with the exception of little Mr. MegaBrain and his incessant need to argue semantics any time any words come out of anyone's mouth. He believes that anything that is said could be said more PRECISELY and will point out your gross negligence at every turn. He does it so much that anytime either Josh or I call the other one on something, we say "Okay, BUBTAR!" But he does that year round, summer or school time, so we're used to it. ;)

Rima said...

Hurricanes. Who needs 'em?

I sort of know how you feel about this tail end of summer. My daughter starts school on Monday, but my son doesn't start until September 13th! What is up with that?

P.S. Do they know the rules by number? Like, you can just shout "Rule 3!" and everyone stands at attention? Wow.

sarah said...

Oh I could not live by Rule 3!!! I am constantly breaking Rule 3; I couldn't ask another person to live by it! LOL

School starts on Monday & I am counting the minutes. Well, I'm not really because I can't focus like that (rule 3), but at least 5 times a day I have to remind myself "monday. monday. monday," while I take deep breaths.