Monday, March 7, 2011

Seven years is a whole new set of skin!

When I lived in upstate New York as a kid we went skiing once and while we were in the lodge my family overheard a woman exclaim "I'm comin' he-ah [here] SEVEN YE-AHS [years] I nev-ah seen it so icy!" and it's been a family catchphrase ever since. Yesterday was Ryan's and my seventh anniversary and all day we said to each other "SEVEN YE-AHS!"

It seems like more than seven years since we were newlyweds, waking up at nine every day, patting ourselves in the back if we managed to get to school before ten o'clock, living in an orange stucco house we affectionately dubbed "The Alamo", learning to "cook", doing yard work and going to Sonic every day in the summer.

Today I'm sitting at the kitchen table, holding a sleeping James in one arm while the big boys watch Curious George, trying to squeeze my lecture into the calmer cracks of the day. I'm in my PJs, Ryan's off at his corporate nine to five, there's a big gold minivan in my garage, and instead of Texas Country and Van Morrison, Mozart and Kanye, the not-so-soft whir and thump of our aging washing machine provides the soundtrack for the day.

In seven years your skin completely replaces itself and it takes seven years for a bankruptcy to be removed from a credit report. In other words, it takes seven years for all traces of a past, different life to disappear. Individual Ryan and individual Becca have completely disappeared and been replaced with something more complicated--a family of FIVE PEOPLE--big enough to frustrate the efforts of the suburban chain restaurant industry with their dining rooms full of four-person tables.

Happy Anniversary, Ryan. There's no one else I'd rather share this car with:


[no infants were neglected during the filming of this video.]

13 comments:

Pete the Brit said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Danny said...

Congratulations on the anniversary! My favorite part of that video is when Wes's face is just like "nuts to this," and he decides to suck his toes while his brothers work it out.

Sometimes on our anniversaries I like to mention crimes I could have committed and been out of prison in the amount of time we've been married. Nothing romances a woman like being compared to a penal sentence.

Sarah said...

Happy anniversary!

So helpful of Charlie to sympathy-cry. We's toes are so cute, I want to eat them, too :)

Joy said...

Congratulations on 7 years!

LOVE the video...now I can picture what our lives would look like if we multiplied our James by 3 and put them in the backseat of our car...except for the fact that 3 kids wouldn't fit in the back of our car...so I guess it would have to be in the back of a big gold mini van.

You have such a sweet, sweet family. :)

Rima said...

Happy anniversary! Beautiful way of putting it!

Marianne said...

Happy Anniversary, Becca! The chaos ... actually laughed a little bit. But, please know I understand (ish).

Amy said...

Becca I LOVE THIS: "Individual Ryan and individual Becca have completely disappeared and been replaced with something more complicated--a family of FIVE PEOPLE."

Happy anniversary! And the chaos, dude, livin' the dream right there with you.

Alyssa said...

Happy Anniversary!!

I *love* the part about patting each other on the back for getting into school before 10am! Those were the days, right?

Chiconky said...

I think this is my favorite anniversary post ever. So sweet.

Phoenix Rising said...

I love how you've represented the 7 years to create something new --- so much better than the negative 7-year itch approach. I love this post!!

Candy Masters said...

Yay for seven whole years of wedded bliss! I was telling my Mom that I still have my red "Bec and Ryan" mechanical pencil favor from your wedding in Lubbock. That is how I knew it was your anniversary! Hope it was happy!! Abrazos from C&D

Kyla said...

Happy anniversary!!

sarah said...

Happy anniversary! This is a really beautiful post; I love the phrase "the calmer cracks of the day".