Sunday, February 13, 2011

Hey Cupcake!

Twelve years ago, my first Valentine's Day with Ryan was another Sunday. He dropped me off after church (in my 1985 Toyota Supra, he didn't have a car) at my dorm and told me he had to spend the remainder of the afternoon studying, but that he would pick me up for dinner later on. He picked me up and drove me to a park where he proceeded to pull a four course meal OUT OF THE TRUNK OF MY OWN CAR which I swear I had locked after church. Crazy! Even crazier, he lived in the dorm and had to borrow a friend's kitchen (and car!) for the whole afternoon.

Today's Valentine's Day celebration also involved food and a car. But instead of a romantic picnic in my sweet little 1985 Toyota Supra (best car EVER, does not have LATCH, sadly), it was cupcakes in my enormous gold minivan. Rockstar!!

We went out for lunch after church at a deli that has free ice cream, I always like to start a fun thing by not letting them have the other fun thing that's right in front of them. You get more whining that way. The whining ended abruptly when I slowed to a stop in front of the Cupcake Bus. Something about the three foot tall pink cupcake on the roof, I would imagine.

IMG_0291

Good things come to those who wait, kid. Just sayin'.

IMG_0292

Unless, of course, you fall asleep on the way there. And then, in this family, you get totally hosed. Ryan did get another cupcake to share with Wes later, but Wes never brought it up so I split it with Ryan instead after everyone was asleep for the night.

IMG_0295

James got his cupcake approximately two hours later in slightly refined form. He likes vanilla-vanilla JUST LIKE ME.

IMG_0296

Meticulous Sparkpeople logging yesterday, four pound cupcake today. It's all about balance.

IMG_0293

Ryan, ever-ready with a napkin, soldier in the war on chocolate icing on the upholstery, builder of walls, and fixer of garage doors, toilets, Christmas ornaments, and anything else the kids and I have accidentally destroyed. Twelve years ago he hid a picnic in my car. I knew then that we would have a great adventure together. At eighteen did I think that adventure would involve three children and a combined nineteen years of higher education? Not exactly, but I've loved every minute of it.

IMG_0297

Happy Valentine's Day!

7 comments:

LL said...

Too cute! I love the picture of Charlie seeing the giant cupcake and the fact that you and Ryan split Wes's cupcake after he went to bed. I would have done the exact same thing. (Also, how awesome is Ryan with the Valentine's Day dinner all those years ago? Very impressive. I see why you married the man.)

Happy Valentine's Day to both of you!

Sarah said...

Happy Valentines Day! So, so, co ute. Love James' cheeks-- want to eat them a little.

I LOVE Sparkpeople! (Although yesterday I ate like a crazy giant. But today? back on the wagon).

Your old car makes me nostalgic for my 198-something Corolla and Ben's ancient Celica. Ah, memories...

Rima said...

Awe, full circle! I love it. You have created a beautiful family and life together.

Also, WHAT IS THIS CUPCAKE BUS OF WHICH YOU SPEAK?

Hanah said...

That is so sweet!

Nora said...

My brain stopped working after I saw Charlie in the beige van with chocolate frosting- gah!

This is awesome. I, too, was wooed with food (eleven years ago now) and it def set the right tone for a long romance :)

Amy said...

Awwww, so sweet. The cupcakes, too.

James looks like he's cool with the paci in place of the cupcake, tho.

Carolyn said...

Only recently came across your blog--somehow mysteriously connected to library research I'm doing on older adults and blindness, in pursuit of an MA in gerontology (say wha? is them internets interfering with my education?)-- and now you and your several guys have become my go-to link for matching-but-different car seats and haircuts, cupcakes, pacifiers, over-commitment, and especially, the well-written sentence.

Keep up the good work. And please ask them to open a Cupcake Bus franchise in Chicago. The need is great.