Monday, October 4, 2010

In which listening comprehension comes back to bite me in the bottom

We're all sitting on the hotel room floor, changing kiddos. I excitedly ask Charlie if he's excited about "going swimming in the dark."

Wes shrieks "SWIMMING IN DA DARK!"

Ryan freezes with the pajama top partway over Wes's head and shoots me a death glare.

Oh, right. I continue to stuff Charlie into his swimsuit. "Alright Charlie!" I chirp "Let's get on your JAMMIES!!" He looks at me like I have two heads.

"Mama, this is my SWIMSUIT!"

"Charlie, we're going to put on your JAMMIES just like Wes is putting on HIS JAMMIES!" then stare at him.

He says quietly "But I want to go to the pool with Papa."

Wes screams "POOL!!!"

I plead with Charlie with my eyes. He does not understand.

"Why are you calling my SWIMSUIT my JAMMIES?"

Wes is bouncing in Ryan's lap. "SWIMMING!!"

I whisper "Only you and Papa are swimming tonight. Wes neeeds to go to bed."

Charlie perks up "Maybe we could ALL go swimming!! Me and Papa and Wes!!"

I can't stop laughing.

"OK, Charlie, let's get in your bed!" I trill, scooping him off the floor, still wearing his swimsuit. His whole body is stiff. He is totally pissed off. I hiss into his ear. "You're still going to the pool just play along PLEASE."

"I don't want to go to bed. I WANT TO GO TO THE POOL WITH PAPA!"

Wes bounces. "POOL POOL POOL!"

I am beyond laughing now. Just shaking silently.

Ryan is flustered "Charlie just go put on your shoes so Wes can go to bed."

Wes looks sad. Very, very sad. He buries his head in my shoulder when Ryan hands him off. "Do you want to go swimming tomorrow, Wes?"

He nods his head solemnly then puts his thumb in his mouth and settles into my chest. He goes to bed easily then begins freaking out as soon as the hallway door clicks closed. Only after he manages to squeak out "MAAAAMAAAAA" do I realize he's crying becausee he thinks we all went to the pool and left him alone in his Peapod on the bathroom floor and maybe I should stop trying to find "Say Yes to the Dress" and go reassure him. He's asleep now. I hope. Until Charlie comes crashing into the room soaking wet and smelling of chlorine and yelling about "THE POOL!"

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, poor Wes-- so sad! I hope Charlie had fun swimming in the dark :)

Rima said...

Ah, yes. The old death glare, I know it well.

Poor little Wes.

Amy said...

One of our kids always sleeps in the bathroom at hotels too!

Chiconky said...

That's so sad, yet so sweet at the same time. I can totally picture the whole scene. Sucks to be the youngest sometimes.

sarah said...

LOL, poor Wes.

Alyssa said...

LOL! I guess inside information will have to wait a bit longer :)

AJU5's Mom said...

I am glad I am not the only one who has a hard time getting "basic" things across to my kids. Hopefully Wes had fun yesterday and it was a peaceful night both nights.