Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Romance after twelve years*

"Hey Sweetie, just a heads up, we don't have any dinner--PUT IT DOWN! I SAID PUT IT DOWN RIGHT NOW!--I couldn't face the grocery store today. I'd rather go out to get us something while you--I'M ON THE PHONE!!!!!--put the kids to bed."

"Would you like me to pick something up?"

I really want some spring rolls. But I would rather Ryan get home quickly to help me with the inmates.

"What? Oh, no thanks. I'd really like you to come home as soon as you can. It's been kind of a long--BOTH OF YOU! TIME OUT! NOW!--day."

"OK, I'm leaving in a few minutes."

"Sounds good, see you at home. Love you. ROSSBY IS OUR FRIEND! WE DO NOT CHASE OUR FRIENDS! GIVE ME THE POTATO MASHER AND GO APOLOGIZE!"

"Uh, bye?"

"Yeah, see you soon!"

***Thirty minutes later***

Ryan appears in the kitchen doorway and beacons Charlie with an index finger. They exchange a whispered conversation. Charlie returns to the table with a small brown paper bag.

"It's SPRING ROLLS, Mama!!"

Ryan is smiling.

"How did you know?"

"I've been wanting to bring you spring rolls for two weeks but you wouldn't let me!"

***This morning.***

After Wes wakes up at 5:30, Ryan gets up with him, gets Charlie back to sleep, takes Wes downstairs for breakfast and The Today Show. Totally unaware, I come downstairs at 7:15. Ryan goes to take a shower, I straighten the kitchen and wrangle the overtired toddler. Ryan comes downstairs, goes to the car and comes back with a box of my favorite kind of donuts.

"Is it snack day at work?"

"No, you're always saying how you want a treat but can't get one because then you have to share with the kids and you want to set a good example and all that. I saw these and thought of you."

"Wow, thanks!"

"No problem! Thanks for making us another kid!"




*Yes it HAS really been twelve years since we met. Dude.

15 comments:

LL said...

Dude, that is HOT!

I am completely serious- you are a lucky lady and as he appears to know, he is a lucky guy :)

Anonymous said...

Awwww how sweet :) Things like that always make my day! --abby

A. said...

You've got a good guy on your hands, clearly! I can't imagine going through the craziness of parenting toddlers/preschoolers without a partner (a real, honest-to-goodness co-parent), and I'm so glad I don't have to. Sounds like you have a wonderful co-parent, too!

BTW, maybe I missed this, but do you and Ryan plan on learning the gender of Baby #3?

Alyssa said...

Aww....I love it!

Sarah said...

I LOVE it!!

(I am constantly setting a bad example for the kids, but damn I get so cranky w/o my lunch dessert)

Kim said...

What a sweet post!

Also, you have done a fantastic job of capturing the conversations of parents with young kids! I love this post!

Amy said...

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

A man who brings his pregnant wife food? He's a keeper.

Phoenix Rising said...

He rescues stuffed animals from raging waters AND brings you spring rolls? AND treats for the morning? I'm in love with your love story! And did I miss the announcement of another BABY?! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Rima said...

He. Is. Awesome.

P.S. That's what our phone conversations used to sound like all the time, and then we started texting.

sarah said...

That is all so romantic! I love it! "thanks for making us another kid."

spring rolls and donuts?! You are speaking the language of love, my friend...

Chiconky said...

So sweet! True love is definately surprise donuts.

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

I love Ryan! He's always been so sweet. One of my favorite memories of living with you was the visit from the "Valentine Stallion."

Ryan, if you read this, you're the best!

AJU5's Mom said...

Ryan is the best! I don't even think of things like that for my husband.

Kyla said...

Awww, so sweet!!

Josh and I have been together-ish for 14 years...and we were only 13 when we met!