Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hold the Onions

I made this last night. It was very tasty and we all had seconds (Charlie had thirds). But that's not the point. The point is that the recipe called for one chopped onion. Almost everything I make starts with "chop onion, saute in olive oil." Thanks to Pioneer Woman I can do it fast and hardly ever nick my fingertips anymore. My eyes don't even tear up very much. Although one time Charlie insisted on standing at my hip while I chopped an onion and after about thirty seconds he ran away howling "MY EYES! MY EYES!!"

So I wasn't expecting anything different last night when I chopped the onion for dinner. Until several hours later when Ryan and I were sitting on the couch watching TV. I reached up to scratch up my nose and noticed that my hand STUNK like onions. Not a good smell like I'd just chopped it up either. It was like I'd spent the whole day chopping onions, then worked out, then smeared nicotine all over my fingers. Gross. So gross.

Washing helped briefly, but the smell was back within minutes.

I woke up a number of times in the night not because one of the kids was freaking out (which also happened last night... Charlie had a DREAM that Wes was crying and woke him up, because that doesn't actually happen enough in real life), but because my hands had disobediently made their way back up to the airspace around my face and the horrible onion smell woke me up! Try as I might, I was unable to train myself to sleep with my hands firmly at my sides as though I might be called upon to perform with Riverdance while I was sleeping.

Do you know how frustrating it is to be awoken multiple times at night not by restless children, not by a restless fetus kicking me in the bladder, but by ONION SMELL ON MY HANDS?

Finally I got up and washed my hands with my Neutrogena Acne facial cleanser. It's first active ingredient is acid, I thought it would help. It didn't. And it made my hands feel really tight and scratchy in addition to the stinking.

I really wish I was one of those people who is into scented lotion.

Several rounds with antibacterial soap this morning haven't helped either. They are, however, getting really itchy from the repeated washing.

It was ALL I could smell at the gym today, which is saying something, if you know what I mean. Disgusting.

What do I do? Wear mittens until it goes away?

12 comments:

Kyla said...

Oh no! I can't stand to smell or eat onions, so that would be major torture for me!

Kim said...

Rub your hands on something made of stainless steel. The smell disappears after a few rubs. I've also heard that dissolving a few aspirin tablets in lemon juice and washing your hands with the mixture helps.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Agree with kim...wash your hands and run them on the kitchen sink faucet. Works for garlic too :) --abby

Sarah said...

Lemon juice was going to be suggestion.

When I was pregnant I made white chicken chili with onions and garlic and smelled the smell on my hands for a week. I blame the pregnancy.

Dr. Maureen said...

They even make stainless steel bars in the shape of soap for people who may not feel comfortable rubbing their hands on their kitchen sink. Not me! Mine is squeaky clean! But I'm just saying I have one of those bars is all.

Alyssa said...

I've never heard of the stainless steel thing - I'll have to remember that! I hope it works for you. And yeah, I'd blame the pregnancy too.

Hanah said...

Are you sure you didn't get a piece of onion stuck in your nose? Just sayin'...

Rima said...

I don't know, man. Turpentine? A tomato bath?

Amy said...

You can also rub a spoon all over your hands if you don't want to rub the faucet. I actually use the spoon trick every time a chop an onion or garlic.

Anonymous said...

Squeeze fresh lemon juice over your fingertips after chopping onions or garlic. Works everytime!

briana said...

I can't stand the smell of onions, or garlic on my hands. I've tried the stainless steel trick, with a little success. But then I wash my face and there it is again. Somtimes I'll wash them with a little vanilla to help combat the aroma as well.

Anonymous said...

I use vanilla extract on my hands when cooking with onions or garlic. I rinse my hands with it, so I usually buy the imitation stuff.