Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Back to Mediocrity: Recipes from the Internet

Until I stumble across more comic gold at the public library, I'm afraid we're back to posting recipes from the internet.

I impulse-bought a Cooking Light magazine the other day at the hippy grocery store strictly because of the picture on the cover. And the words "No Cook Meals." Heck yeah! Here's the picture. I'll let you go take a look and start the drooling.

I almost didn't make it tonight because I hurt my back at the grocery store while I was not so lovingly hefting Charlie (my nine-foot tall three-year-old) out of the shopping cart "baby" seat after he threw a handful of tortilla chips at me. Postscript: He did not pick them up and I was rendered unable to follow through on my threat to make him take a nap because I couldn't physically lift him after hurting myself. My first reaction was to call Ryan when we got home and beg him to come home soon and bring dinner when he did, but then I thought "What would the Greatest Generation do?" and I figured I'd suck it up and make dinner myself while the kids destroyed the bathroom playing with the sink. I'm so glad I did because it was delicious and easy.

So. Here are the ingredients (my comments in italics as usual):
  • 1 ripe peeled avocado it should give if you squeeze it with the peel on
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped tomato, divided
  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh onion, divided
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided in my experience, half of a lime yielded 1T of juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided I used Kosher
  • 1 small garlic clove, minced I used the jarred stuff, it was fine
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro YUMMMMY
  • 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeño pepper I omitted this for the kiddies
  • 2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
  • 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika I used plain old paprika that I already had
  • 8 (6-inch) corn tostada shells
And here's what you do:

1. Place avocado in a small bowl; mash with a fork. Stir in 2 tablespoons tomato, 1 tablespoon onion, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and garlic.

Hear me now and believe me later: MAKE EXTRA. You will probably run out before you even get dinner on the table because you will be sneaking guacamole with the little broken pieces of tostada that are in the top of the bag. Sadly, this behavior was not accounted for in the calorie count provided in the magazine.

2. Combine remaining 1 cup tomato, 2 tablespoons onion, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, cilantro, and jalapeño; toss well.

It's a tricky one, this recipe. Very complex.

GET YOUR FINGERS OUT OF THE GUACAMOLE

3. Combine chicken, remaining 1 tablespoon juice, and paprika; toss well to combine. Spread about 1 tablespoon guacamole over each tostada shell; top each with 1/4 cup chicken mixture and about 2 tablespoons salsa [the tomato mixture from Step 2, which I would call pico de gallo].

Instead of buying a rotisserie chicken, which usually gets mostly wasted here, I was going to buy some boneless, skinless chicken breasts, season them with salt, pepper, and paprika and then cook them in the oven (30 mins at 350 or until the meat thermometer says 160F), but instead I scraped all the breading off the leftover chicken tenders from last night's dinner and used those. Don't worry, if you come over for dinner I won't serve you used chicken.

The Verdict:

OMG Wes ate dinner. He ATE DINNER. A dinner that was not scrambled eggs. Knock me over with a feather.


Charlie, who appears to be entering adolescence today, did not eat his at all and whined for me to get the "white things" [onions] off of his "chip." This from the kid that ate all the onions off my hamburger a month ago on our trip. On a normal, non-tortilla-chip-throwing day, I think he would have loved it.

Ryan and I had to stop ourselves from whipping up a second batch after the kids went to bed.

Normal people might like to serve this with a green salad and some Dos Equis, but Ryan and I ate at the computer desk instead so we could watch the owl webcam.

It was fantastic. AND it's easy and a good way to use up extra chicken. AND you get to buy a lot of produce which always makes me feel really smug. I'll be making it again soon!

9 comments:

Pete the Brit said...

I have that magazine just haven't made anything from it yet!

Owlcam is weird!!!

Sarah said...

That sounds delish! I love the WWtGGD-- I am going to ask myself that question more often,

sarah said...

looks delicious! And love the WWTGGD? although I think i'd end up feeling woefully inadequate if I asked myself that too often!

sorry Charlie gave you a hard time today but the way you write about it is so funny I'm not nearly as sorry as I ought to be.

Kim said...

This looks so good and I really hate that I am allergic to avocados!!! (I found out the hard way and know how yummy they are, SIGH.). Love your italics!

Shannon said...

I get that magazine and delivery day is the highlight of my month! This was the first recipe I made from that issue, and we LOVED it too!!

brooke said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels smug buying produce. I always eye the pre-packaged stuff that fills other people's carts at the check out and get this weird sense of moral superiority. Even if I am just buying a crapload of tomatoes to make into a salsa that will then be eaten with pre-packaged tortilla chips and called dinner.

Chiconky said...

This looks SO good (although my son will also be of the "get the white things off my chip" variety). I'm in the smug produce buyers club too. It's even better if the person in front of me has a ton of processed stuff in their cart.

AJU5's Mom said...

That does sound good. I will have to remember that and try it (eventually).

mbc said...

I have a foodblog where I post recipes of things I make and most of which Riley eats. If you're ever interested, it's www.no-onions-mbc.blogspot.com.