Saturday, July 24, 2010

Lobsterman

Charlie recoiled when I put the steaming, red lobster in front of him. When he recovered he looked at it, then at me. "Why isn't it crawling around?" he said slowly.

I immediately regretted letting an older cousin play with the live lobsters on the porch earlier that day. They'll do a headstand if you hypnotize them by rubbing their back with your finger. Charlie had shrieked and jumped onto an end table after a loose lobster had started approaching him, very slowly, across the porch. We've not yet had such a vivid lesson on "where our food comes from" and I was not prepared. My aunt saved the day. "It's ready to eat, Charlie!"

This answer satisfied him and I reminded him he would be having a little bit of Ryan's lobster, but that Grandma had made him a sandwich and cut up an orange for him. He stared at Ryan, who was expertly dismembering the lobster with a tiny fork and a nutcracker. His eyes widened when Ryan squeezed a shiny piece of meat out of a leg like toothpaste, dipped it in butter, and offered it to him.

"No, thanks," he said, and took another piece of orange out of his bowl. A few minutes later, curiosity got the best of him. And then he ate Ryan's entire lobster, pausing only to make the pink, fleshy claw meat "pinch" at an imaginary finger and say "snap snap snap!!" I made a mental note to consider giving vegetarianism another go, as soon as these hamburger and french fry cravings subside.

We all sat around the table to keep Ryan company when someone took pity on him and brought him a second lobster so he wouldn't go to bed hungry. My mom asked Charlie if he had enjoyed his first taste of lobster. Charlie responded, "I like the meat inside, but you can't eat the plastic."

5 comments:

sarah said...

ha ha! That's awesome! Lobster is my absolute favorite food, but I can not bring myself to make it for myself--I can't throw the lobster into the boiling water. So, sigh, I never get lobster.

Kyla said...

KayTar loves meat (probably the only food she loves)...and she knows where it comes from. "Mmmm, bacon! This pig sure was yummy!" and so forth. LOL!

Alyssa said...

Haha! He did much better than I did when I first encountered lobster (and I was 10). I thought lobsters were "too cute" too eat (mostly because we were in the maritime provinces where there were tons of cute plush lobsters in all the gift stores!).

Rima said...

We had lobster tail on our vacay last week, too. Didn't even try to offer any to the kids, though :)

AJU5's Mom said...

I have pictures of my sister and me playing with lobsters when I was about 4 or 5. I wonder how I felt about dinner that night - probably similar to the way Charlie felt I guess.

And he made a wise decision to like lobster - that si some good stuff!