Monday, May 24, 2010

Overheard at the Academomia's

Ryan: "I've never met anyone who likes rice as much as you."

Becca: "What the heck does that mean? What's not to like?"

Ryan: "You bought a RICE COOKER."

Becca: "Lots of people have rice cookers. So what?"

Ryan: "Not people from our non-culture."

Becca: "That's not true, my friend Jeannie (not her real name) told me about rice cookers and she is from Texas."

Ryan: "And where does she live now?"

Becca: "China. OK you win."

*****

Ryan and Becca are searching the fridge, determining what needs to be bought at an upcoming trip to the store. General household hubbub ensues in the background.

"OK, so I'll buy some milk and lunchmeat and..."

Charlie: "I want some apple pie!"

Ryan: "Looks like we're out of eggs too."

Charlie: "Mama! I want some apple pie!"

Becca: (absentmindedly) "We don't have any, Buddy, maybe you and Papa should make one while I'm at my church meeting?"

Ryan: (incredulous, gape mouthed glare)

Charlie: "Oh, I would LOVE to do that!"

Ryan: (incredulous, gape mouthed glare)

Becca: "Ooh, I'm late! Better go! Ryan, the peeler with the red handle works best on apples! Have fun!"

*****

We are driving down our street on the way out for breakfast. We briefly discuss whether we should go for cinnamon rolls or breakfast tacos. My mind starts to wander and I say to Ryan "We should really tell the kids about Taco (which what we call the baby) soon."

Ryan: (leans around the seat so he can look at the kids)

Me: (A little sad that this isn't going to be a more special moment)

Ryan: "Would you boys rather have a breakfast taco or a cinnamon roll for breakfast?"

*****

We're at a nice outdoor restaurant overlooking the lake, for appetizers one Saturday afternoon. A large plastic owl sits on the railing to deter other birds from pooping on the tables.

Charlie: "Why doesn't that 'howl' move?"

Becca: "I guess it's asleep. Owls are nocturnal, which means they sleep during the day and look for food at night."

Charlie: (riotous laughter) "That is SILLY!"

(time passes, Charlie remains fixated on the 'howl')

Charlie: "Can I touch the howl?"

Becca: "Sure, be really really gentle, OK?"

Charlie: (timidly approaches the 'howl', extends a single finger towards its back, changes mind then smacks it soundly on the tail to a resoundingly hollow sounding THUMP, he returns to the table looking sullen) "The howl didn't wake up."

11 comments:

Pete the Brit said...

I have a rice cooker!!!!

Would love to see how Ryan and Charlie's apple pie turned out!

Kim said...

I also have a rice cooker! It saves me the agony of burning rice when I try to cook it in a plain old pot! Allegedly you can use it to steam veggies as well, but I've never tried. It works for quinoa and couscous as well.

I love the "howl" story! So cute!

Taco is a great pre-name, by the way!

Anonymous said...

Rice cooker is also great for steel-cut oats. Cooks brown rice as well as white.

Phoenix Rising said...

I love rice! And tacos. The kind you can eat AND the kind you can't wait to tell your kids about.

Leslie said...

in reading the bit about 'taco' I was thinking..."how can the boys not know, they took that picture with the 'big brother' shirts?" It took me a full 60 seconds to realize that they can't read yet.

Hanah said...

My parents have a rice cooker. They've lived in Texas for 27 years, and before they both grew up in Arizona. Personally, I've never seen the need for a rice cooker, since a pot works just fine.

Love the "howl" story!

Rima said...

Taco! I love it!

And, I don't have a rice cooker, but the P-Dawg has been talking about one for AGES, so I do think it's in my future.

Kyla said...

My parents have a rice cooker. Josh and I don't care for rice, unless it is fried rice from the hibachi place!

That howl was a deep sleeper. LOL.

AJU5's Mom said...

Had to laugh at the taco - and the apple pie. What was the outcome of the pie-issue. Did Ryan even attempt it?

Anonymous said...

I have a rice cooker and have for years. I don't know what I'd do without it. :)

Sarah said...

LOL at Taco, and I love the apple pie-- ha!!

I feel like all my college friends had rice cookers-- is that weird?