Friday, May 14, 2010

It all makes sense now. Sort of.

Charlie has been extremely anxious about aging this week, which is weird because I'm the one who's turning an age that rhymes with purdy in two-ish weeks (I can't remember anymore).

We'd be driving down the road chit chatting about nothing in particular when all of the sudden Charlie would yell angrily. "I don't WANT to GROW UP! I want to stay a KID!!"

My three-year-old, he is pre-pubescent.

In lighter moments he would sing his own rendition of "I won't grow up" from Peter Pan. It goes "I won't grow up! Not a penny will I pinch! I will never grow a mustache on my chin!"

One time he told me he wanted to stay three until Wes turned three so they could go to school together.

He's also been strangely fixated on leg hair. "Why don't you have hair on your legs, Mama?" he asked me a half dozen times yesterday. "Because when you are an adult you get to choose whether you want to keep the hair on your legs or shave it off. I chose to shave it off." He usually responded with a slightly alarmed "But you need to have fur on your legs so you can feel things in the woods!" Presumably this was a reasoning jump from the time Ryan explained why cats have whiskers.

(I don't think I need to tell you how happy I am that he has put me in the "no leg hair" category, as that is simply not the case every single day. I mean, really.)

I finally connected the dots yesterday when we were driving to church and Charlie started up again. "I want to always be a KID! I don't want to grow up!"

"Charlie, you are three years old. You are going to be a kid for a very long time. You have nothing to worry about."

"But I WANT TO STAY A LITTLE KID!!"

He was practically crying.

"Sweetheart, do you think your friend Julie (not her real name) is a kid?"

"Yes" he sniffled.

"Well she is five years old, two years older than you! You'll still be as little as Julie in two years!"

He hesitated then said sadly "But I have hair on my legs. Papa has hair on his legs and he is an ADULT!"

Poor, poor baby just noticed he has hair on his legs and has been thinking all week that now he is like Ryan and will have to leave the family and go to work all day.

10 comments:

LL said...

Aw, that's funny and sad. At least he's appeciating how awesome kids have it, whereas I always thought it would be so great to be a grown-up only to discover that staying up late and eating cookies whenever I want is actually kind of overrated (especially since it comes with taxes and jobs and responsibilities. ew.)

Kim said...

What a sweet post! Also, how funny that his thought process started because of leg hair!

And happy upcoming birthday! I just refused to turn the age that rhymes with "purdy," instead just turning 29 again.

Marianne said...

What a great story. You have a thinker on your hands, Becca!

Purdy-schmurdy... Add another five to it and you'll be joining me. I can't for the life of me figure out how I got this old. (picture some cane shaking)

Andrea said...

So THAT'S why I hate camping! No leg hair = no way to connect with my wooded surroundings.
So adorable and sweet, can't wait for our visit!
gm

Rima said...

That poor, sweet, darling little boy! I remember drawing crazy conclusions like that about stuff when I was a kid, too. It's rough. I hope he is breathing easier now.

P.S. I "chose" not to shave my legs this morning :)

sarah said...

isn't it amazing the things that take up space in their brains?! Leg hair! and all it's weighty implications! I love it.

And just so you know, my purty's have been the best years of my life. And I'm not far off from the word that rhymes with shorty. Eek!

Kyla said...

LOL! I'd be upset if I had hairy legs, too. ;)

Sarah said...

30 was good for me, abut 32 has been a hard one.

Charlie is hilarious-- I LOVE the whiskers logic-- genius. harry has fuzzy little legs, too-- so, so cute.

Anonymous said...

And apparently he has figured out that shaving the hair off doesn't make you a kid again, otherwise he would be asking to borrow your razor.

AJU5's Mom said...

He must really be studying his legs. Have you pointed out that Wes has hairy legs too? Maybe that would help calm him down a little. If he was a girl, I could definitely understand the hairy leg/adulthood thing. Growing up and "having" to shave is a pain :)