Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Sweet Potato Recipe

(Without pictures because I'm on borrowed time from Lego-palooza in the playroom)

I got this recipe with my first Greenling order. Greenling is an organic grocery delivery service. You can use it like a regular grocery store, where you pick out the things you want, or you can order a "box" and they will pick out the things you get. I ordered a "Local Box" and they filled it with seasonal, local, organic produce and brought it to my porch. I also ordered the "Farmstead Box" as a treat. They said it would be products made by local companies like cheese, bread, and jellies or pestos. Instead, what I got were brownies, cupcakes, cookies, and a candy bar. No complaints here!

Anyway, I got some sweet potatoes in the local box and initially I didn't know what they were because they were so pretty! I had to smell them to figure it out! The cilantro-lime sweet potato recipe was one of several recipes on a sheet they included with my order. The sheet was accidentally thrown away by someone (cough, water hero, cough), so I don't have the exact amounts of anything, but here is what I did Saturday, which is the second time I made them.

Ingredients:
- 2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 cm/0.5 in cubes.
- Olive oil
- 1-2 limes
- Kosher (or sea) salt
- Cayenne pepper
- A handful of cilantro (leaves torn off the stem, but not chopped)

Procedure:
1. Mix together about one lime's worth of juice with several tablespoons of olive oil

2. Pour mixture over sweet potatoes and toss

3. Put sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet and roast at 375F for 40 minutes

4. Mix two tablespoons olive oil, about a tablespoon of lime juice, and a teaspoon of lime zest in a small bowl. You can add cayenne here if you like it spicy, which I do, but the kids don't. I put in a half-teaspoon the first time and it was pretty spicy. I did about half that the second time and it was less spicy, but still had a little kick. Add the cilantro to the mixture.

5. Transfer the cooked sweet potatoes to a mixing bowl. Pour the oil mixture over them and toss. Garnish with a few pieces of additional cilantro if you want. Serve.

This is an easy one to modify based on your tastes. I use a ton of cilantro and extra lime juice, for example. And also, make extra... The kids didn't like them because they were spicy and Ryan and I ate the whole two pounds the first time I made them!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

YUM!
I am so jealous of greenling I can't even stand it!

sarah said...

I cannot WAIT to make these! Thanks for the recipe! And zOMG, Greenling sound amazing! I need to see if we have anything like that here!

Kim said...

I passed this on to my mom as well!

Hopefully they have sweet potatoes at our farmer's market this weekend!! I cannot wait to make this! My cilantro plant is huge, and this will be a perfect use for some of that yummy stuff!

about me said...

whether this cuisine including the type of cake? in my country if there greenling

about me said...

whether this cuisine including the type of cake? in my country if there greenling