Friday, March 19, 2010

Get the weeds before they get you!

The first thing I do to the yard every spring is pull all the weeds I can find. I've gotten quite the harvest this year.



And I'm not done yet. The kids like to help. As I fill up my plastic bucket, they carry it to the baby pool and dump it out. If I'm lucky, Charlie will bring it back. If he's annoyed because I'm working on the weeds and not playing, he throws it at me.

But I am starting to see signs of the grass coming back to life, something I feared wouldn't happen after last summer's awful drought when our grass died and our yard filled with hardier, dessert-adapted weeds that scratched the kids' knees if they fell on them. I get such satisfaction out of hearing their roots rip free from the soil. I guess they did their part by preventing our topsoil from cracking and blowing away, Dust Bowl style, but it is time for them to go.

Yay for grass sprouts! Grow babies grow!



Every time I find grass sprouts under a weed, I work extra hard around that area. I'm trying to avoid having to put down new sod.

All the yard work is doing a number on my kitchen floor too. The last of THREE LOADS! Yuck!!



Spring here is akin to summer in more temperate climates. We have all the windows open every day and are soaking up the sunshine before it's too hot to go outside.



This weekend's project will be getting our vegetable garden ready for seeds. I'm hoping to get enough tomatoes this year to have extra to make salsa and tomato sauce to store for later. I also want to grow basil and cilantro so I can eat them plain right out of the garden. Or, you know, use them to make salsa and tomato sauce.

Have a good weekend!

10 comments:

AJU5's Mom said...

Wow - good job pulling the weeds! I am not sure I am ready for that part of spring this year...

Kim said...

Oh, I am SO jealous you have room for a vegetable garden!!! We put about 86 pots all over our garden last summer with veggies, but most of them died when we were living in the hotel. We are on a wait list for a community garden on campus, which would allow us to grow all kinds of things. I really hope we get on soon.

Are you going to grow any other herbs? My oregano and chives from last summer are still alive. We used to have chives all year round in Atlanta when I was growing up, and that is similar climate to Texas, I think.

I want to see pictures of your garden when it's in full bloom!

Anonymous said...

I showed the picture to Kevin and he thought the weeds were growing IN the pool....I think he overestimates the humidity down there :) --abby

Anonymous said...

When I saw the first pic on my blackberry it looked like it was your car covered in weeds and I was horrified. When I realized it was a pool I was still impressed.
-Homestead Mom

Kyla said...

Whoa, that is a lot of weeds. We just let ours run amok! We are yard slackers.

apathy lounge said...

I've been in the hospital for 10 days so the idea of pulling weeds sounds like paradise. Good on you for getting a jump on Spring.

Rima said...

Though I hate gardening in general, there is something so utterly gratifying about pulling up weeds. It's a compulsion - once I get started, I CANNOT stop until every single one is gone. (It does look like you got them all.)

Jenny said...

Would LOVE to open the house up like that right now. You all are lucky down there! :)

Anonymous said...

I can get quite fond of some weeds.I pretend they are flowers I intended to have . GGMann

Sarah said...

Holy crap that's a lot of weeds! Awesome!