Friday, March 26, 2010

Really? She's not done gloating about the weather yet?

With apologies for anyone who comes here looking for my usual sarcasm laced stories about bitchy Dunkin Donuts employees and badly behaved children, I am currently unable to muster up any such negativity. Because it is SPRING!

And I have never appreciated spring more than I do this year. The coldest winter on record here. The winter that WOULD NOT DIE as evidenced by last weekend's overnight freezes (yay for procrastinating on planting the garden!).

I happily sweep the dirt clods off the kitchen floor twice a day. Happily do twice as much laundry. And happily send Charlie off to school in a pair of handed-down soccer cleats because he soaked his last pair of sneakers during a brother-on-brother hose smackdown.

Some days we don't even get out of our jammies (ahem, Saturday, when I threw on some jeans and sneakers and wore my PJs out for breakfast, fashion blog contributor FAIL).

IMG_0949

Some days we go inside only for the potty, and some of us not even then.

IMG_0976

Saturday we went to Home Depot to buy screws for Wes's big boy bed to replace the ones that Charlie "hid" four months ago that we cannot find. We stumbled onto the kids' workshop and the boys got to build planters with the cutest little hammers you've ever seen (not pictured because we forgot our cameras in our haste to get to the breakfast taco place before they stopped serving breakfast after the kids both slept until NINE THIRTY. It was a Daylight Savings Time MIRACLE!)

IMG_0989

Yesterday I spent some time "hoe-ing" up the garden (BWAHAHAHAHA) to prepare for our little seedlings.

IMG_2757

Tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, bell peppers, and strawberries (plant marigolds to deter the bugs from eating your tomatoes and plant strawberries to deter your children from eating your tomatoes). These are the strawberries and peppers:

IMG_2761

This weekend we are making another, larger bed, which will be the pumpkin patch and squash garden. Charlie's been wanting to have a pumpkin patch since last year this time. I can't wait to take his picture next to his first pumpkin! Or, even better, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin roll, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin soup. I'm going to plant four vines, how many pumpkins will that make, do you think? Watch out, locals, I'll be leaving produce on your doorsteps.

Don't worry, though. Soon enough it'll be HOT and I'll be counting down the days until we head north for two weeks. Until then? I'll be here, with my windows open.

5 comments:

Amy said...

9:30? Sleeping til 9:30???? We're so fighting.

AJU5's Mom said...

I miss the wildflowers int eh spring. And your garden - way more than I think I could keep alive. But I so wish we could just pick fresh veggies from our back yard. Have a wonderful spring - it is the best season in the "hill country" in my opinion!

Kyla said...

KayTar went to Home Depot with my dad today while I was in class and made that same planter! She is sooo proud of her fancy apron and certificate!

Spring is pretty nice, it is wasn't for the bees and wasps!

sarah said...

As much as I love sarcastic, cranky Becca, I love happy-it's-springtime Becca even more. :-)

Spring is being very sweet to us this year, too, and I am so so grateful!

Wes' butt? Adorable! And Charlie is so proud of that little planter!

Rima said...

I'm coming over right now.