Tuesday, March 2, 2010

And now I start sentences "When I was in grad school..." like a giant jerk

Just like childbirth, you get through your defense, spend a few miserable months bumping around trying to figure out what your new life is going to look like, and then BAM, it's a year later and you're really really glad you stuck it out and didn't follow through on all those threats to take your dissertation to Nebraska and leave it at the fire station.

Ryan reminded me tonight that it was this time last year that all hell broke loose with my dissertation. I remember sitting in the big chair in our bedroom, furiously redoing all my figures (after furiously redoing all my data) for an entire day and into the night, long after Ryan went to bed, then finally going to bed at 3:30 only to have Wes wake up to eat minutes later. Then I got up at 7:00 FOR THE DAY.

I guess that last part is why Ryan remembers it and I do not. Maybe (probably) it's because he was woken repeatedly by me smacking the keyboard and swearing like a crazy person on a bus.

Here's the post I wrote this day last year. I wish I could have told myself then that I would have the job of my dreams just a year later. And that I really would LIKE hanging around with my kids!

March 6 of last year was my defense date and our fifth wedding anniversary. I think Saturday's plans to eat a fancy dinner and see a musical are a much more fitting tribute to our happy life together, don't you?

And here is what my kids looked like last year. If you need me, I'll just be over here eating those little feet.

Brothers

7 comments:

Kim said...

I love the picture of the boys! Fat baby feet are the best, are they not??

I read the post from last year and realized that I could have written a similar post when I was getting my dissertation ready -- especially the parts about random bursts of crying and foul language! Our husbands are saints!!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh they were so little! Wes was a baby and now he's a PERSON.

One of my TAs from last semester (who has 2 little kids my kids' ages) stopped by my office to ask me how I finished everything with my kids, and I so did not have an answer. I just remember constant stress and panic.

Glad you have your dream job and love life a year post- diss, Doc.

Kyla said...

I was just telling Josh last night that THIS semester, I really feel like school is swallowing my life. It is only going to get worse from here, I know...but one day I have hope that I'll write a post like this, reflecting that it really was worth it!

Alyssa said...

I can't believe it's been a year since your defense. I remember reading your posts!

It's amazing what can happen in a year, and how much life can change in such a short time. Something to keep in mind when things aren't going so well, I suppose!

Rima said...

I remember when you were going through that, too. (And I did not envy you.) But just look at you now!

P.S. The part about dropping off your thesis at a fire station in Nebraska was really funny. Glad you didn't do it, right?

AJU5's Mom said...

The year has flown by! And see what you have accomplished in that time - you got a great job, survived months of being a SAHM, and have raised two cute little guys!

apathy lounge said...

I call those feet "Fred Flintstone feet". Square. Pudgy. Delicious.