Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Subconsious Fights Back

My two work days are Tuesday and Friday. I teach the same course on both days, and there is a new lesson and lab each week. As a result Tuesdays have emerged as the stressful, not-fun day while Fridays are lots of competent, been-there-done-that, this-is-how-it's-supposed-to-be fun. Last week my Tuesday lab ran OVER the allotted time and my Friday lab ended an hour early. Good times.

I am also having some trouble fitting in planning time over the weekend. I don't need a lot, but I do need to relearn the material and plan a short lecture. That usually falls to Monday evening, which is fine because since our TV stopped picking up Fox I no longer have anything else to do Monday nights.

I didn't think I was too stressed out by this situation until I found myself standing in our bedroom at two o'clock this morning with all the lights on yelling at Ryan.

"GET UP!!!! GETUP GETUP GETUP GETUP! WE'RE LATE!!!"

"Wha? [unintelligible] What the hell?"

"IT'S TWO O'CLOCK!!!!! GET UP!! WE'RE LATE!!!"

"Bec, it's two o'clock IN THE MORNING. Please come back to bed."

"What? Oh. OK."

Clearly my exhausted mind hadn't stopped to consider that if it was indeed two o'clock in the afternoon I wouldn't have had to turn all the lights on.

9 comments:

AJU5's Mom said...

Hilarious!

So, here is an idea. If your Friday lab continues to get "done" early, use that extra hour or so to start planning!

But, having the second one go better is normal. I remember my first semester at my current school going that way - and the classes were almost back to back!

Sarah said...

I am so not trying to be assvice-y, but can you stay later on Tues or Fri or plan a chunk of time on Sat to prep? I am have been totally and completely screwed on several occasions with a childcare issue, an illness, or an inconvenient appointment that robbed me of my night before/ day-of prep time. Now I cram all my work in at the office and try not to bring it home (easier said than done).

Also, it is really, really really normal to have your first section suck and your second one be awesome (TA eval scores, for example, are usually way lower for their first sections of the day, the guinea pig sections). I hope your semester continues to be awesome and Fridays-- and Tuesdays :)

Sarah said...

sorry about the silly typos.

am working in another window.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the previous comments. This is completely normal...the second section almost always goes better. Using time after section on either Tues or Fri to prep might be really helpful cause you're already in the lab-ish mindset. Or, as Sarah suggested, chop out some time on Saturday. I hare a really hard time prepping in my own house with all the toddler crazy going on...so I usually head out for some private time at my local wifi enabled coffee shop.

Kyla said...

Hahahaha!! Oh, that cracked me up. So funny.

Rima said...

That is a very funny visual, right there. I hope you were able to get back to sleep!

Anonymous said...

That is what you get for making fun of my night terrors.

-gm

Leslie said...

the real question is...why aren't you watching "The Big Bang Theory" on Monday nights? I mean...you're a physics professor now!

mbc said...

This made me laugh, only because I can relate. The waking up and thinking you're late thing is just miserable. Heart pounding, miserable.