Sunday, November 29, 2009

They are officially GIANT.

Holidays and other things that happen once a year really put into perspective how quickly small children change. For example, today we attended our church's Hanging of the Greens (or as Ryan calls it "Hanging With the Greens") as a family and I was struck by how calm and happy we all felt. Last year we had a giant fight on the way there about something I don't remember, forced smiles and magical happy holiday memories the whole time we were there, bickered on the way home, and then stayed up all night with Wesley, the child who hated to be a newborn.

Here he is this year, dressed like a humanities professor, master of the quick under-the-pew escape, and happy to hang a dove ornament on the Chrismon tree:

IMG_2166

And here he is around the same time last year:

Whatever Works

Come to think of it, maybe I would hate to be a newborn too.

Here's still-baby Charlie last year:

Charlie's Chrismon

And here is the giant boy who can see over a pew, who I pulled out of disappointed sobs by making a joke about Santa's pants falling down, and who threw his arms around my neck as we walked outside into the cool night and exclaimed "It's COLD, Mama! I keep you warm!" as he rubbed my back.

IMG_2164

9 comments:

sarah said...

sigh. This post makes me a little weepy. They were adorable then, and they're adorable now. But seriously, swaddled baby on the dryer? Sigh.

Kyla said...

Awww! I know! Holidays really do point out just how much growing they've done!

Sarah said...

Hahahaha-- I like to dress my children like humanities professors, too.

Love this!

Andrea said...

In cords and a baggy sweater, I would like to offer that Charlie is dressed like a math professor.

Leslie said...

awwww...cute story about Charlie, what a sweet kid. I'm sorry we missed you in big D. Maybe we'll catch you in your neighborhood around New Year's?

Alyssa said...

Wow - I can't believe how much they change in a year!

Rima said...

I am shocked at how much Wesley has changed this year - you can definitely tell that he and Charlie are siblings (and both cute as buttons). Love the "humanities professor" outfit!

apathy lounge said...

They ARE giant. Sad and wonderful all at once.

AJU5's Mom said...

I think you have costume ideas for next Halloween already - dress them as professors! It would be a hoot especially if you went to colleagues' houses!

And boy are they getting big! Tell them to slow down for me!