Saturday, November 21, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like

Christmas!

Tonight was the ceremonial lighting of the Christmas tree at the Macy's at the fancy outdoor mall here. When I told Charlie we were going to see a Christmas tree, he wanted to wear boots, mittens, and a winter hat with his lightweight fleece jacket, despite the sixty-degree weather. He looked like he was going sledding. I had no problem with it because he is fighting off a cold and I wanted to cook it out of him.

IMG_2087

Wes refused to wear his hat for a while, then realized it was like a lovey that hooks right onto your cheeks (which is where he holds all soft things), which left his hands free for thumb sucking and stroking the collar of his jacket affectionately. We called it the Bluetooth Lovey. I'm going to make a million dollars.

IMG_2095
I wore my new professoring coat. It is wool and I was super cozy. Charlie and I share a love for being cozy. We wrap up in quilts in August!

We met my sister and brother-in-law and niece.

IMG_2100

We took all these pictures while we waited for the part that was interesting to small children, which didn't start until about forty-five minutes in. By that point Charlie had announced that he had to go to the bathroom. Carrying him, I elbowed my way through the dense crowd then ran into a bookstore, went upstairs, and ran smack into a giant line for the ladies room. I waited a few minutes and then the lady behind me said "I don't think my daughter is going to make it!" and turned to see a child about Charlie's age dancing from foot to foot. "LET'S GO IN THE MEN'S ROOM!" I said and led a herd of mothers with small children into the totally empty (and yet somehow still disgusting) men's room. Thank goodness Charlie was wearing mittens.

It was good we did that because when we were walking back towards the door downstairs I saw the tree light up out the window and heard the crowd cheer. I picked Charlie up and we wedged ourselves out the door and into the crowd where we were treated to a fireworks show set to Manheim Steamroller music. Both boys LOVED it. Charlie and I were REALLY close to the front because of the bathroom visit and the fireworks were right over our heads. It was really cool if you didn't think about burning embers falling from the sky like a PBS special, which I did briefly; fortunately Charlie snapped me out of it by saying "WOOOOWWWWWWW" every time something new went up. It was really special.

I did not know that there was a venue for combining my two favorite holidays: Christmas and the Fourth of July. Hooray for tacky corporate sponsors, is all I have to say.

IMG_2111
Ryan said Wes really enjoyed the fireworks too.

Next stop Thanksgiving!

IMG_2116_5x7
Did not notice what appears to be a "man purse" or "murse" until after we had walked away from the tree. Ryan would like you to know that he does not carry a purse. It is a men's satchel FROM EUROPE. Just kidding, it is mine and he had just grabbed it out of the stroller because he was afraid someone was going to steal all our plastic keys and baby wipes while we took the picture. He is from the city.

10 comments:

sarah said...

"IT'S A EUROPEAN CARRY-ALL!!!" Love it.

We tried to go to a tree lighting at one of those fancy outdoor malls last year and I it was so overcrowded and I got so frazzled that I ended up yelling at a cop. So a little different from your experience.

Glad you had a great time! Love the pictures!

Sarah said...

You guys are so darn cute! Love the coat, and your hair looks great. I think Harry and Jack both have the same fleece Wes is wearing-- very cute. Love the murse as well.

mbc said...

Love the professor coat AND the man-purse (hee hee)! What a fun night!

Kim said...

Great family photo!! I'll have to try a hat that velcroes under the chin for Zoe... then she couldn't pull it off!!

Homestead Mom said...

I would like to say how super your hair & coat look before I am assaulted by our day and have no time for computers. I'd sit down and listen if you walked into my classroom with all the professorial hotness you are sporting.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time you are having with your boys.And arent we lucky that you share with us?
GGMann

Kyla said...

Awww, it does feel Christmas-y this year. I love it.

I LOLed at the European carry-all bit.

Your coat is AWESOME! I just splurged and bought myself a corduroy peacoat, which is still comfy and has a hood, but a definite step up from the grey sweatshirt hoodie I've been known to sport...like at this very minute. LOL.

Rima said...

I think you have yourselves the perfect Christmas card photo!

Andrea said...

I love your coat, even though it pains me deeply that you wore it in 60 deg temps. I get that you don't like to be cold, but carrying a child with WOOL on? How were you not SWEATING PROFUSELY!?! Ahh ahhh!! I'm angrily hot just thinking about it!!!

AJU5's Mom said...

Love the coat! Sounds like a great way to start the Christmas season.