A long time ago we went to Wesley's twelve-month check-up where he received his seasonal flu vaccine, among other twelve month vaccines. Pediatrician Man told me that he needed a booster in one month and that he needed the H1N1 vaccine, but that they didn't have it yet. He told me to call on the fifteenth of the month because they would know more then.
In the mean time I had a couple of issues I wanted advice on (giant swelling bugbite of mystery, ear trauma) and tried to call Pediatrician Man's nurse, but ended up being on hold for so long I gave up and started treating every problem with Benadryl (for the children) and empty calories/caffeine (for me). While this served the temporary problem of not enough hours of sleeping children during the day, it left me a little uneasy that I couldn't speak to the doctor when I needed to.
So the fifteenth rolled around and as usual I had totally forgotten what day it was. I was in my Mom's Group at church when Labmama called and asked what the doctor had said about the vaccine. I called them right away and the receptionist was so nasty to me on the phone that I accidently used the B word right there in front of all the nice church ladies (to no one in particular, not to the lady on the phone). Klassy.
Basically she told me that although I was told to call on the fifteenth, I should have magically known to look at the website instead, where I would have learned that there WAS no vaccine to be had right now. This left me in a bit of a predicament since Pediatrician Man said very gravely "I would hate to send you into the end of October without vaccinations."
A week or so later, a single sentence appeared on the website "H1N1 vaccine now available for 2 and 3 year olds ONLY."
Still no seasonal flu for Charlie or seasonal booster for Wes.
So I called and got Charlie an appointment for H1N1 vaccine today. In the END OF OCTOBER! DOOOOOOOM.
Yesterday I checked the website again and learned that they now had seasonal flu vaccine! Hooray! I called the (now very friendly because she had good news! And also probably a different woman, the other one having probably gone into early retirement/disability after having to deal with all the angry/confused mothers of South calling ON THE FIFTEENTH) receptionist and asked if I could add seasonal flu to Charlie's regimen for today, because we were already going to schlep everyone in there to be exposed to who-knows-what TODAY.
No. Today is H1N1 ONLY. Of course it is.
So, long (loooong and not that interesting) story short, I have four doctor's appointments for the boys in the next week. Charlie H1N1, Charlie seasonal, Wesley seasonal booster, Charlie well check. And they couldn't figure out how to combine any of those. AND Wesley still won't be getting H1N1.
REALLY? REEEEEAAALLLY? This is the MOST SIMPLE WAY to do this?
Whatever your opinion on vaccinations in general, I am sure you will agree that this could have been handled so much better.