Friday, September 11, 2009

TGIF

Really and truly. Because Friday Charlie has school. He seems to now require the structure of school to behave like a human being the rest of the day.

Yesterday was a Very Bad day. When Ryan came home I was sitting at the kitchen table staring, shaking, and exhausted. Wesley was eating leftover rotini casserole for dinner. And Charlie, darling boy, was asleep on the floor of his bedroom, in the third hour of a nap that began at four o'clock in the car after I just couldn't take it anymore.

I call it "compression therapy." When they get wild and nothing else works, strapping them snugly into their car seats makes a world of difference. So yesterday, after spending two hours trying to get Charlie to take a nap and stop destroying his room like a coked up metal band--and in the process taking away (in order) the books in his room, a trip to the library, stories at bedtime, and his quilt (it's eighty degrees in our house, I was not being cruel), and after he kicked me as I changed his dirty diaper, and then punched me when I told him not to kick me, and after I sat by his door as he screamed at the back of my head for several minutes, and after I screamed at him to "GET BACK IN YOUR BED" so loud we both started crying (Wesley laughed. The urge to laugh when a sibling is in huge trouble must be innate), and after I had gone downstairs after returning his quilt in an act of contrition for the yelling, and after he beat down the baby gate and came downstairs, where I was on the phone with Labmama marvelling at how outrageously bad a two-year-old's behavior can be (TG for friends, too, know what I mean?)...

After all that, at a total loss but knowing things could not continue down the same rapidly deteriorating path, I strapped them into their seats and backed out of the garage. I didn't know where I was going to go. But it had to be far and it had to have a drive-through. Charlie was asleep within minutes. Not just asleep, but out cold. His head lolled around with every turn and stop, but he never woke up. I pulled through the Dunkin Donuts drive-through and placed my order and he never woke up. When we got home I carried him to bed, where he stayed asleep for two more hours. A three hour nap. Beginning at four o'clock.

When Ryan came home my plan was to go to the gym and get on the treadmill and run until I could barely stand up. But instead I collapsed onto the table and cried. Ryan encouraged me to go take a long shower, which I did, and then got in bed and read my book. Half an hour later I heard Ryan put Wesley to bed. Charlie was awake. He came into my room and got in my bed and snuggled up next to me. He clung to me for the next hour until Ryan peeled him away so they could go buy me cookies to apologize. We watched football together in silence, snuggled up on the couch.

He wanted me to put him to bed. Maybe to show me that he had learned something and knew he could do a good job. He asked for stories and I had to tell him that he had lost stories when he kicked and punched me. He very solemnly said "Oh. I only kick soccer balls." I tucked him in and kissed him and closed his door.

He was still awake when I checked on him an hour later, but I didn't hear a peep out of him.

9 comments:

AJU5's Mom said...

I am so happy it is Friday too! I can't wait to have another person to entertain and deal with AJU5 for a few days. Hopefully Charlie did learn from it and you won't have to face that battle again though!

Dr. Maureen said...

Dude, I feel your pain. Funny thing is, for us, Wednesday afternoon post-preschool was a NIGHTMARE. Well, I shouldn't capitalize "nightmare" because it wasn't as bad as your yesterday, but, Lord, it wasn't good. Jack was bouncing off the walls from the excitement of school and wouldn't nap and was driving me progressively bananas. I am hoping that this does not continue, that he chills the eff out and has a normal day when he gets home once he gets used to school. Because preschool is supposed to make my life EASIER.

Sarah said...

Oh, man. I have so been there. The coked out metal band line was fantastic. I think it's good to leave the house during one of those days, but usually, I am too busy throwing a grown up tantrum to remember that advice. ((hugs)))

Amy said...

It's so nice to see I am not the only mom who loses her shit. Because I do. A lot. I have been there and it sucks and I really hope your today is SO. MUCH. BETTER.

Coked-out metal band is the best line I have read in a long time!

Rima said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad day yesterday - I know them well. But the car ride idea is an excellent one - will have to try it myself next time I'm in a similar situation. Which I'm in often, since both of my kids gave up napping altogether when they turned TWO.

Alyssa said...

Oh my gosh - I'm so sorry you had such an awful day yesterday :(

Avonlea said...

Yeah, that can wear you out like nothing else. We found over the long Labor Day weekend that our little guy needed more exercise so he'd go down for a nap. At home, instead of in daycare in the morning, he wasn't getting that. Naps were a battle all weekend. Driving him around in the car is something we try, too.

Kyla said...

I hope you have a WONDERFUL weekend. You deserve it.

sarah said...

omg, this post made me cry. I hate that you had a day like that, but am so relieved that I'm not the only one!

I think preschool is such an adjustment for them--they spend all their "being good" energy there so that the teacher will love them. Then they come home and behave like rabid otters for us b/c they know we already do love them.

coked-up metal band? love it.