Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Not so fast, buster

Sometimes when Charlie is feeling grumpy we can get him to cheer up by asking him absurd questions. The one he truly can't pass up is "Does Rossby have a tummy?" He always responds "NOOOO!" and then cracks up. It's irresistable. Sometimes when he wouldn't tell us what he did at daycare we would ask him "Did you climb a mountain at daycare? Did you eat lobster for lunch?" It cracks him up and usually we can get a straight answer out of him that way. "No I didn't eat a lobster! I ate a turkey sandwich!" or "I go down the slide!" or "I go to time out. We don't hit our friends."

It was along those lines tonight, when we were trying to coax him up the stairs for bedtime that Ryan said "Charlie, do you want to put ME to bed tonight? You can brush my teeth and read me a story and tuck me into bed?" We all laughed and, surprisingly, Charlie ran straight up the stairs without a single complaint. We exchanged a surprised glance then Ryan followed Charlie up the stairs.

When Ryan came back from putting Charlie to bed he was laughing.

When he went into Charlie's room Charlie went into his closet and got his biggest pair of hand-me-down jammies and said to Ryan "OK, Papa, take off your shirt." Then he read him a book, pulled the covers back, handed a stuffed animal to Ryan, and made him lie down.

When the gig was up and Ryan got out of Charlie's bed to proceed with Charlie's usual bedtime routine he played "morning" and carefully made his bed, first pulling up the sheet, then the quilt, and artfully arranging his pillows against his headboard. Surely he couldn't go to bed if it was morning.

Charlie's first day of school is tomorrow. He is very excited that he will be in the Turtle class, that he has a cubby, and that he gets to use a lunch box. He chose a Spiderman lunch box and didn't put it down for two days after we bought it. Also, yesterday I bought a quilt and sheet set (Craigslist HOLLAH!) for Wesley's big boy bed (which I am currently shopping for. On Craigslist). I'm still adjusting to being somebody's mom let alone having a preschooler and a toddler. It seems like it was both just yesterday and a lifetime ago that I was well rested and showered on a regular basis. Somebody hold me.

Tomorrow expect pictures. Many, many pictures.

8 comments:

Kim said...

Isn't it crazy having a preschooler and toddler? I had to buy Aidan socks today, and he no longer wears toddler sizes -- I had to go to the BIG boys section! And Zoe outgrew all the 9-12 mo clothes we have with us in the hotel and of course I cannot get to all the bigger clothes I made the movers put in my garage (because all our interior doors and my washer/dryer are down there too, ugh!)

Rima said...

Ha! That is so funny! I love that kid. Good thing he didn't put Ryan to bed in his actual bedroom and insist that he stay there until it was really morning - that would have totally put a damper on your narrow evening window of grown-up time!

Kyla said...

That is so cute! We do similarly silly things, too!

I can't wait for those pictures! Hope he has a great day!

Anonymous said...

I will have to have pictures to believe that Charlie is carrying a lunch box & going to school. How fast these things happen!!!.GGMann

Sarah said...

We do that, too-- it always jollies him out of his grumpiest moods.

Jealous that C goes to school long enough to eat lunch (H is only gone 2.5 hours, which leaves me about 36 minutes of downtime a day)

Can't wait for pictures :)

Alyssa said...

Oh! Good luck to Charlie on his first day of school!

AJU5's Mom said...

AJU5 loves to play night-night with us or her stuffed animals too. Hopefully school today goes well and you enjoy a little Wesley and Mommy time (and just Mommy time when he naps).

Anonymous said...

Brilliant about bedtime. We definitely need to add a bit more play to the program.

Homestead Mom