Thursday, September 3, 2009

My Little Big Boys

While I was busy looking for a job and keeping track of everyone's antibiotics dosing schedule, Wesley has turned into a really cool almost-toddler. And Charlie is a real boy.

At breakfast, Charlie sang a stirring rendition of "The Sun'll Come Out Tomorrow," complete with jazz hands, and Wesley rewarded him with a round of applause.

Later I was checking my email and heard a funny rustling noise and looked over to find him standing in the big seat of the stroller several feet over the tile floor in the foyer. And then, after I had collapsed the stroller and shooed him off to the play room, the theme music to Curious George came on and he charged out of the play room and around the corner, than sat up and danced as he watched the beginning of George.

And then as I was writing this I found him here:

IMG_1580

Then I looked away for two seconds and found him here:

IMG_1584

He was playing with the two little boy statues my grandma gave me. As Charlie knows, little boys don't touch the little boys.

He is quite the little climber. I gave up trying to keep him off the top of the toy box, which affords a tantalizing view out the window, and taught him how to get down safely. He loves to stand up there pounding his open palms on the window as people walk by. Then he climbs down feet first and goes on his way, off to find something else to climb. I'll remember that I thought this was cute when he is twenty and living in his car, spending all his time climbing mountains.

Yesterday he didn't take ANY naps. Normally he takes THREE. I thought that it would mean a crabby, irritable baby, but instead he was happy as can be. I think he just wanted to play with Charlie, his best pal who is home all week before his preschool starts on Wednesday.

Yeah! Charlie starts preschool on Wednesday. They have little classes that they go to throughout the day--chapel, art, music, movement (which is like gym), playground, and lunch. I read Charlie his schedule and when I got to snack, then playground, his eyes got really big and he said breathlessly "THAT sounds like FUUUUUUNNNN!" I met his teacher last night and she said "My name is Miss Sunshine [not her real name] and this is the best job I've ever had!" I think I might be more excited than Charlie. Which doesn't seem possible. When Wesley wakes up we are going to go pick out Charlie's lunch box. Bring on the licensed characters.

Update: Wesley is awake, because he never went to sleep. Here we go again. Charlie is still not dressed (except for undies and his new school shirt) and now they are both watching Curious George. As soon as I finish this cup of coffee we are going to have a fight about going potty and then we will be off to Target for school supplies. I LOVE fall!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

SO CUTE!!

He has such a handsome little face, and I love his thighs. Love them.

Isn't it so fun to watch them play? Makes me want another one or two :)

Dr. Maureen said...

We have a Curious George lunchbox! Are you jealous? Nora got it for Jack when she was born, and he will be using it for preschool next week. He has a CG backpack TOO! I got that one online; the lunchbox was at HomeGoods or TJ Maxx or Marshalls, which are all the same store anyway.

AJU5's Mom said...

I can't wait for AJU5 to be old enough to go school shopping. We already have a bunch of crayons, etc, so it will be a while...

Anonymous said...

OMG....Wesley looks sooooo much like Charlie (and a big kid) in that first pic!--abby

Kyla said...

Mine are in second and PreK! I can't believe how fast they grow! KayTar has lost her first two teeth and they are already growing in. Insanity.

Anonymous said...

You better buy a BIG box of Bandaids!! Wesley looks like an explorer! I look forward to your blog every day. Love from us. G'ma

Rima said...

Charlie's pre-school sounds WAY FUN. I think that *I* would like to go there! And Wesley is so, so cute! I especially love the action shot where he's climbing on the side table.

Anonymous said...

Awesome news about your big little boys! I miss the noise and confusion down here in quiet Argentina. Although, the wind noise and the cars on the shore road do fill in the quiet sort of.
Hugs to Ryan, Charlie the soccer star and Wesley the explorer. Buenas Suerte! C&D