Monday, September 14, 2009

Brothers

IMG_1626
I love the way Charlie is dressed for yachting--white polo shirt, khakis, and his new loafers that he WOULD NOT take off after I brought them home from the store. Also the way Wesley is not dressed at all.

These guys are best buddies. Yesterday I dropped Ryan and Charlie off near the door of church because we were running late for Sunday School (again. we didn't even make it last week) and when they got out of the car Wesley cried and cried. This morning Wesley heard Charlie's voice at the top of the stairs and practically hopped out of his highchair to get to him.

Charlie gets really disappointed when Wesley falls asleep in the car. He calls Wesley, almost exclusively, "my brother" and sometimes does this running tackle/hug thing that Wesley finds terrifying but is really an expression of brotherly love. In fact, most of the ways Charlie shows Wesley he cares are dangerous and/or frightening, like the time he fed Wesley a whole bunch of tortilla chips and he choked and then gagged so hard he threw up in the sink. It was magical and special.

When Wesley cries Charlie reassures him by saying "It's OK, Wesley-Wes, I'm right here!" in his most soothing voice. When just Charlie and I were on vacation together, he saved all his blueberries at lunch and said "I give these to Wes when he comes back."

I'll have to remind them what great friends they are when they are big and smelly and hairy and fighting over the car.

IMG_1632
Baby! Run in the kitchen and get me a juice box, will ya?

4 comments:

Hanah said...

That is so sweet!

Kyla said...

Every once in a while I get a "You know, KayTar is ruining my life." (stated deadpan and matter of factly) because she has done something terrible like gotten a turn to pick a show on the TV, but I can just shrug it off because they so clearly love each other the other 99% of the time.

The caption on the last one is PERFECT!

AJU5's Mom said...

Yes - you will have to show them this post in a few years. But hopefully they will stay good friends even if they fight a lot :)

Sarah said...

How sweet! When did Wesley turn into a kid is what I want to know?