Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Yippee!

I was fast asleep today when the phone rang. It took me a minute to stop slapping at the coffee table, trying to find the snooze button. When I realized it was the phone I stumbled to the kitchen to answer it.

Still half asleep I answered as coherently as I could.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Becca?"

"Yes, it is." don't recognize the voice who the heck is this and what do you want

"This is Dr. Smarty, Department Chair of Physics at Nearby Methodist University."

"Yes, hello!" very very awake now. very awake indeed.

This is the second important conversation this week that has begun with the phone waking me up in the middle of the day. These kids and their damn viruses with the not sleeping!! The first was with Pediatrician Man on Sunday. Can I tell you how weird it was to talk to Pediatrician man IN MY BED? VERY WEIRD. Thankfully I was downstairs this time. Simulnaps two days in a row! I win.

He was following up about me giving a research seminar to their physics club. I'd been emailing with another professor about the opportunity two months ago and just sent another follow-up email last night. He asked me to describe my research and background. Which was HAHAHA SO FUNNY and really freaking hard to do succinctly having just woken up and having spent the last three months NOT TALKING ABOUT MY RESEARCH. Or even thinking about it for that matter. I made it through with a lot of stuttering and "um's" and then he told me that I'd have to bring it down to a non-technical level for the freshman. Hell I can do that! How about I just slap a bunch of pictures of damaged buildings on a PowerPoint and talk about the time I rode out Hurricane Claudette in an airplane hangar with the roof partway torn off? (Just kidding. I will work very hard because I am very, VERY excited about this opportunity. Never know who's reading, you know?)

He's going to call again in a week to arrange a time. He told me they would be buying me lunch. It was only then that I realized that this was going to be during the day and not in the evening, which will make things a leeetle bit complicated on the childcare front (Complicated? Or FREAKING AWESOME!).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. I wonder if it's a good excuse to buy office supplies, because I really miss the smell of paper in the fall.

6 comments:

AJU5's Mom said...

My guess - it will be on a Tuesday just before lunch or in the afternoon.

Good luck! I bet you will have a blast presenting to them!

Kyla said...

Awesome!!

Sarah said...

So cool!!!

Yay!!!!!

sarah said...

Yay!!! Good luck! So excited for you! and yes, I miss the smell of paper in the fall, too!

KC said...

Awesome! Sounds like it will be really fun to talk about your research to freshman. It also sounds like napping brings you luck. You should do it more often. Then, the offers are going to come rolling in! And, bonus, you will be well-rested. =)

Marianne said...

I know this is so late, but I'm very behind...

So very awesome! Good luck!!