Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Big City, thoughts from the Suburbs

When Ryan and I decided to live in South instead of Boston two years ago, we vowed to spend time there every summer to make up for our lost city adventure. We realized that this would be a dangerous tradition; summer is a beautiful time in Boston, as opposed to the winter, which my dad attests was long and cold and rainy. Yes, we should probably visit in the winter so we don't spend the entire visit wishing we lived there. Fortunately, hauling an additional sixty pounds of kid around with you makes the whole car-free urban fantasy slightly less appealing.

Some highs and lows:

*Playgrounds surrounded by a fence with a gate? GENIUS. Having walked approximately thirty-seven miles to get to this playground in Boston Common, it was really nice to be able to sit down when I arrived. Wesley also enjoyed his newfound freedom.

Playground

*Before getting on a subway, you should get your children iPods and make them wear them. Better they hear your vaguely appropriate collection of 70s pot smoking music than a rowdy group of teenagers screaming the "F" word at each other for five stops.

*Yes, your two year old DOES need a stroller, you freaking moron. Enough said.

*Walking everywhere loses its appeal when you are walking there carrying an angry thirty-five pound child (see above).

*On the other hand, Charlie's miserable sobs elicited sympathy from a passerby who paused and pulled Band Aids out of her smart leather briefcase, thinking he had skinned his knee. City people are friendly and helpful!

*Hey look! A whole university with a wall around it!

Wesley at Hah-vahd

*Ooh pretty! And kids sail for a dollar! Let's move let's move let's move let's move.

Sailboats

*And finally, Our hotel room was roughly the same size as the largest apartment we could afford in the city, or roughly four-hundred square feet. Given the little hissy fit I had after tripping over our piles of crap for the millionth time, I think that would be a problem.

The very thought of not being able to close everyone into their own room made me want to run straight back to my mass produced, car-centric, sustainability-be-damned slice of heaven.

I love my house. There's no place like home.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

a playground with a fence! I could actually TALK to other moms there instead of constantly retrieving my child from the road. I like.

Hahahaha-- are you missing the Phil&Ted?

GREAT pictures!

AJU5's Mom said...

OH, I understand the stroller thing. I fight deciding whether to bring it for AJU5 at 19 months and normally regret not having it!

And the fence- I love it. We walked by a park a few weeks ago with a fence on one side (busy street) and I was going crazy about he wonderfulness of that!

sarah said...

Yeah, city living has some amazing perks, but the trade-off of teeny tiny living space makes the 'burbs so appealing. And OMG, hello cute kiddo!!

Kyla said...

I wish I lived in the city, but I'm more of a Houston girl. You can still use your own car, but the MetroRail sure would be nice when I was traveling without the kids!

Amy said...

See I am such a park-fence snob that I won't take them to a park alone anymore unless it is fenced AND gated at all entrances. Then I can sit on my ass and not have to chase them hither and yon.

Marianne said...

Becca! I think we were at that park a couple weeks ago. is that one at the Boston Common? That was the only place we were able to go before it POURED! We went to the children's museum.

I love living in the city, but I agree with sarah (with the small "s"), the trade-off is that space issue.

Great pictures!

apathy lounge said...

I love this post.