Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I'm a Maine-iac

Our days start early here in Maine, where the lobster men take their noisy diesel boats out around five, invariably waking Wesley up from his sound-ish Pack and Play slumber. Going back to sleep is not an option when there are grandparents to cuddle you, blueberries to eat, brothers to torment, and rocks to eat. So Ryan's been getting up with him. They amuse themselves by eating bananas and taking pictures, apparently. I amuse myself by going back to sleep next to Charlie, the two-year-old teenager who now sleeps until eight.

Wesley, early morning

Before you feel too sorry for Ryan, know that he sailed with my dad for two hours today. The sailed around an island for goodness sake.

Sometimes after breakfast Charlie likes to dress like a Christmas Elf and head to the front yard for some driving practice. Common goals for my brother-in-law are to hit the boat or the pine tree, but Charlie is usually satisfied with chipping it into the water. It's a bad week to be a bird or sea creature.

Golfing

When more a sedate activity appeals, we like to sit on the porch and watch the scenery. My aunt is wearing her swimsuit in this picture because she and Ryan and my sister and brother-in-law are a bunch of crazy fools who thought it would be fun to jump in the freezing water and swim around. Having renounced peer pressure as a driving force in my decision making, I abstained. Although they seemed to be having fun, I have no regrets. I was more than happy to listen to their shocked yelps from the comfort of the front porch.

Porch Sitting

Charlie has been chomping at the bit to throw rocks into the ocean ever since he noticed the happy juxtaposition of a bunch of rocks and the ocean, so today at high tide we all trooped down there to do some rock throwing. Wesley preferred sunning himself on the rocks and splashing in tidal pools.

Wesley at the Beach

Charlie was dry in this picture, but he soon abandoned rock throwing in favor of jumping in the cold water all the way up to his neck. Later he put on a lifejacket and jumped off the dock into Ryan's arms in the freezing water. Crazy damn fools.

Charlie at the Beach

Charlie, Ryan, and I went for a family sail boat ride, which has been Ryan's dream ever since a faint pink line appeared on the pregnancy test in March 2006.

Boating Charlie

Family Sailing

This evening we had cocktail hour on my grandparents' porch. Wesley the party animal promptly fell to sleep as soon as my mom started rocking her chair. All of the fresh air is making both of them sleep like rocks during naptime (which unfortunately does not overlap, at all resulting in an approximately five hour stretch in the afternoon during which I can't really leave the porch. Not that I mind that ONE BIT).

Wesley at Cocktail Hour

I could stay here forever.

11 comments:

Mother of Two said...

I LOVE reading your blog! You have such wityy humor! :)

Mrs. CH said...

Sounds like heaven!

Rima said...

Oh, that looks like so much fun!! The P-Dawg is a lifelong sailor, too, and we JUST went out for our first family sailing expedition last weekend. He's been wanting to do it for a long time, but I've always been a little chicken on account of the J-Dog's kamikaze tendencies. But the kids loved it and I think we'll do it again soon.

Marianne said...

What a fabulous vacation, Becca!! And seriously, how much hair do your kids have?? They're so beautiful!

Grace said...

What gorgeous babies!

Just wanted to let you know I'm following your blog now. If you don't remember, I'm Grace, from the airplane (and then the very slow van). :)

LL said...

I could stay there forever too!! What a wonderful vacation, I'm so glad you're all able to spend it together!

apathy lounge said...

Do you get to wear a jacket when it cools off outside? Do you? DO YOU??? Wait...never mind. Don't tell me. I'll faint from jealousy.

AJU5's Mom said...

Sounds like a good vacation. About 10 years ago, I would have been in the water too. Today, I would be sitting on the porch with you. Have fun with the family!

Hanah said...

That looks like so much fun! But when did Wes's hair totally change color?

Sarah said...

Sounds fantastic-- how cute are you guys in the boat?

Love the rock throwing bit-- too funny!

sarah said...

oh, I LOVE this post!! Charlie in the elf outfit playing golf?! And Wesley's hair in that beach picture! Priceless!

And because I am a big old sap, the line about Ryan dreaming of sailing w/ Charlie since the little pink line appeared on the pregnancy test? Had me all weepy.

So glad you're having a great time!!