Sunday, July 26, 2009

BlogHer

Last week I flew all by myself to attend BlogHer 2009 in Chicago. BlogHer was only part of the reason for going. It was also a great time to meet some of my online friends who I have gotten to know over the last couple of years. Meeting Sarah, Sarah, and Amy wasn't like meeting someone I'd never met before, but more like reuniting with old friends from college.

Shortly after we met we got into a cab and headed out for dinner where we established a routine of swearing and drinking too much that lasted all weekend.

Oh, and was a New York Times Bestselling author there too. That was pretty awesome.

SO MUCH FUN.

The conference got off to a rocky start when Sarah and I attended one of the Mommy Blogging sessions and it fell completely flat. Later it would be redeemed when I went to an instructional session given by these people that was super informative and interesting, but we left the Mommy Blogging session before it was over and spent a few minutes walking around the city near our hotel.

I showed my new friend how cool I was by walking around with my mouth open talking about how pretty everything was and taking pictures of any building taller than three stories.

IMG_1047
IMG_1050

At night we got dressed up and went to parties. My version of getting dressed up meant I put on my dress and then sat on the bed panicking inside while the other girls fussed over their hair and make-up and emerged from the bathroom looking completely gorgeous and appropriate for a night of partying then grabbed my free swag lip gloss from my conference tote bag and tried to act cool while I shakily applied it in the mirror.

IMG_1054

Parties were fun but there's nothing like relaxing in your hotel room with some midnight snacks and your laptop to top off a day of girly blog fun.

IMG_1041

It was all very reminiscent of a college road trip (or so I've heard, since all of the college road trips in my recent memory involved thousands of dollars of meteorological instrumentation, terrible weather, and a lot of really disgusting gas station food). We even took pajama pictures!

IMG_1040

IMG_1039

These girls were SO MUCH FUN. Just as smart and beautiful as I knew they would be after reading their blogs for two or more years. Getting to know them was certainly the highlight of the trip.

One thing I noticed at the conference was how smart all of the other women were. It was energizing to flit back and forth between frivolous conversations about kids and husbands and clothes and more serious conversations about current events, women's issues, and politics. What an honor to be in their company.

On Saturday, after Ryan sent me this picture:

DSC04747

of him getting ready to leave our house by himself with both boys and two weeks worth of crap, I let Jan hold the door as I climbed into the Town Car that would take me to the airport.

IMG_1064

And I tried not to feel too guilty (ha!) as I rode in complete silence all the way there. Or when Jan got my luggage out of the trunk for me mere steps from the ticket counter.

The weekend away was fantastic, but I was so happy to see Ryan and the boys at the Boston airport. Wesley was so overcome to see me that he burst into tears when I walked up. Charlie had already been crying about something unrelated and immediately wanted to be held so he could tell me all about it. Then we got lost in the rental car, took a scenic driving tour of Cambridge by accident, begged Charlie to be quiet for 3.5 of the four hour car ride until he finally fell asleep, then arrived safely at the summer house of my grandparents in Maine.

Now it is time to relax!

7 comments:

Mrs. CH said...

Sounds like an amazing time! You're like me though - after a full day of events, all I want to do is sit in the hotel room on my laptop...away from people :)

Have a great time in Maine!

Kyla said...

Oh, I'm so glad you had fun! (like there was any doubt, BlogHer is always awesome!) I'm hoping my course load will let me go next year.

LL said...

Seeing those pictures of Chicago nearly made me cry. I miss it SO much! I'm glad you had so much fun and I loved this quote: "One thing I noticed at the conference was how smart all of the other women were. It was energizing to flit back and forth between frivolous conversations about kids and husbands and clothes and more serious conversations about current events, women's issues, and politics." That's exactly what I miss most about my law school friends. I'm glad you got to get out for a vacation like that and cheers to Ryan for navigating an airport with two boys on his own. Have a great time in Bostom!

AJU5's Mom said...

I love the picture of Ryan! He is super-dad for traveling with both boys alone!

And I am glad you had a great time at BlogHer.

sarah said...

I absolutely adored meeting you. And wait 'til you see my pictures of Chicago--I only needed 2 stories to be impressed! LOL

And? Have you seen yourself in that picture of the 4 of us? You're beautiful, and you don't even need to try!

apathy lounge said...

Envious. Very envious.

Amy said...

It was so much fun hanging out with you! Hope your trip out East is going well...