Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Won't it be nice when he repeats that in Sunday School?

Charlie's new thing is asking "What happened, Mama?"

Monday we were driving home from somewhere when he started up. I would tap the breaks to avoid a car changing lanes. "What happened, Mama?"

"Nothing Sweetie."

"What happened, Mama?"

"Nothing, Buddy. I just had to slow down, that's all."

"What happened, Mama?"

"Nothing. Happened."

Then a few miles later I would realize something trivial, like I forgot to put the thank-you notes in the mail and say aloud "Oh darn."

"What happened, Mama?"

"Nothing, Charlie."

"What happened, Mama?"

...

"What happened, Mama? What happened, Mama? What happened, Mama?"

Finally we got home. I pulled into the driveway and realized that we didn't have the garage door opener. "Oh shoot" I said.

"What happened, Mama?"

I closed my eyes and leaned back against the head rest taking a long, deep breath. You'll miss this when he's in college. You'll miss this when he's in college. You'll miss this when he's in college.

"What happened, Mama?"

"YOU KILLED YOUR MOTHER!" I said in a joking tone.

Cackling from the back seat.

"I KEEEEEL my MUDDER!"

3 comments:

Kyla said...

Hahaha!! Oh, that's so funny!

Kim said...

Hahaha! This is hilarious! Right now Aidan's repeat-1 question is "What's that?" I'm sure "What happened?" is in my immediate future though!

Sarah said...

Hilarious!! matricide is always funny-- I think it's a comedy-writing rule, like repeating something 3 times and using words that start with "k."