Thursday, May 14, 2009

Oh no you di'int!

When I go grocery shopping I have to be creative to get both boys in the cart. I put Charlie in the seat up top and put Wes in his carrier sideways across the basket part in back. This means that I have to put food items in whatever space is remaining. After I check-out, I hold up Wes's carseat and the sacker puts all the bags into the basket underneath. It's working fine.

Today we went for a quick run to the store to buy dinner and bananas and milk (bananas and milk--items we buy three times a week). In the produce section they were giving out samples of chocolate covered pretzels, so I got Charlie one. He sucked all the chocolate off of it with great relish and by the time we got to the check-out stand his face, arms, and shirt were covered in chocolate as were the two cans of black beans he was in charge of holding. I cleaned him up as best I could with a cocktail napkin while we waited. The cashier smiled and told me what cute boys I had. It was a most pleasant shopping trip.

Then the sacker was ready to put my bags into the cart. As always I lifted Wes's carrier up so he could put my bags in. It was at this moment, while I was holding the forty pound carrier almost over my head waiting for the sacker to put the very last bag in that I heard a woman say "Excuse me" in such a rude, impatient tone that if it had been a child I would have reflexively grabbed him by the shoulders and looked him eye to eye and said "You may NOT speak to me that way" before moving quickly to the time out corner.

Not turning around I said cheerfully "Just a minute!" We were, after all, mere seconds away from completing the grocery loading procedure.

"She has a baby in her arms!" said the checker to the rude woman.

"I can see that but I have somewhere to go" she snapped in the same nasty tone as I replaced Wes's carrier and she shoved her way past.

I was STUNNED. I turned back to the checker to get my change and said "Woah, she was really nasty! Thanks for sticking up for me!"

The lady behind me in line also thanked the cashier for saying something. We laughed it off and I went home.

I was relating the story to my aunt on the phone a few minutes later and we brainstormed what could possibly have been so urgent that she couldn't wait literally another thirty seconds for me to put Wes back in the cart.

We settled on fe*cal in*cont*inence.

7 comments:

Mrs. CH said...

LOL That is a good conclusion to arrive at! Wow. Some people just can't get over themselves. I doubt that sas that they ONLY possible path out of the store!

Mrs. CH said...

wow again - pardon my lack of writing skills this early in the morning. That should say "I doubt that WAS THE only possible path out of the store".

Kyla said...

Oh man. What a--well, YOU KNOW. Some people!

She should invest in some Depends. ;)

AJU5's Mom said...

I hate impatient people - well, at least the ones that let you know they are impatient. The quiet ones are fine.

Rima said...

Oh, NO SHE DI'INT!!!!! I'm guessing she was either very old or very young, and definitely sans enfants, right?

Meika said...

Good for you for being able to laugh it off. I would have stewed and plotted implausible avenues for revenge... *sigh*... another opportunity for personal growth...

I'll just have to keep "fec*l inc*ntinence" in the back of my mind from now on. LOVE IT.

sarah said...

When you gotta go, you gotta go, right?!

What a jerk! Good for you for being able to laugh at it. I'm w/ Meika--I'd be all indignant and stew-ish.