Tuesday, April 28, 2009

He never did take that nap

I was sitting downstairs with Wesley while Charlie was supposed to be taking a nap when I heard a giant THUD followed by a moment of silence, then the sound of running, followed by another, smaller thud and a slamming door.

My curiosity got the best of me so I went up to check it out. I opened the door to Charlie's room. He was standing near the door looking guilty.

"What was that noise?"

Silence.

"What was that huge noise, Charlie?"

"The chair?" he said quietly, pointing to a chair in his room.

"The chair didn't make that big noise, Charlie. What happened?"

"I fall."

"What were you doing when you fell?"

"I fall off of Wesley's crib" he admitted "I bonk my head." He paused, then put his hand on his temple theatrically and added "Ow."

"Were you in Wesley's crib?!"

"Yes" looking at feet.

"How did you get out of your room?"

He gestured at the baby gate across his door. "I climb like a ladder."

"Will you show me how you get out of your room?"

He mimed climbing over the baby gate.

"And then you climbed Wesley's crib?"

Blinking.

Blinking. Staring contest.

So the giant THUD was him falling out of the crib. The running was him running back to his room after he correctly surmised that the giant noise had aroused my suspicions and that he would be in a whole heap'o trouble if I found him out of his room, and the smaller thud was the sound of him high-jumping the baby gate on the way back in.

"Get in your bed RIGHT. NOW."

5 comments:

Dr. Maureen said...

First no George, and then no nap? Yikes!

Also, incidents like this make me think back to when *I* was little and wondering what was going through my parents' minds when I was getting into trouble. I had no idea it was, "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

Mrs. CH said...

Uh oh - time to get a taller gate! Hehe!

Sarah said...

Oh crap. He can plot, execute, and explain his schemes. You are so screwed.

AJU5's Mom said...

That is just funny! He must be a great climber! As a result, I don't think a taller baby gate would be a good idea - he would probably just scale that as well!

Kyla said...

Uh-oh. He's climbing and Wesley is mobile. You're in for it!