Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday Science Corner

The figure that saved my sanity:



This marks the end of a six-month-long spat I've been having with my committee. "Phase has a normal distribution!" I argued, even though my only reasoning was that I had done my entire dissertation under that assumption and didn't want to redo everything. "Uniform distribution!!" sneered my committee. "But it DOESN'T WORK when I do that!" I whined to Dr. Advisor.

And then! I realized that I could just take a sample of "real" data and compare the phase with my "fake" data and LO! NORMAL FREAKING DISTRIBUTION! I drafted a cool, professional email to Dr. Advisor, belying the happy dance I was doing at my desk, attached the figure, and sent it off to Old Town.

His response? An equally cool, professional "I agree." Which is the academic equivalent of a kiss on the mouth.

Don't ask me why I didn't come up with this plan earlier.

5 comments:

Steph said...

I still think you should title it "TAKE THAT, BITCHES" in the final draft of your dissertation.

Andrea said...

Steph is right. And lucky you for getting to use the normal distribution! I was adrift in Non-parametric Land for months. My "real" data was wildly inconsistent, much like the federal agency that produced it :)
-Godmother

Mrs. CH said...

Woohoo! That looks beautiful :)

Taylor McKenna said...

I have no freaking idea what you're talking about, but congratulations!!! :-)
AJ

Kyla said...

Awesome! I don't really understand it, but it sound AWESOME.